VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have some plants they want to get rid of in Chesterfield?

3 posters

Go down

Anyone have some plants they want to get rid of in Chesterfield? Empty Anyone have some plants they want to get rid of in Chesterfield?

Post  ciscosdad Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:46 pm

I'm going to do something with my 75 this weekend, not real sure what yet. The wife just doesn't like it the way it is and I must admit it needs a face lift. I am looking for almost any kind of plant that I can get my hands on. I have a few crypts, onion bulb, Java fern, and some anubius. Anything that you are willing to give me would be appreciated.. I would love some red plants but I am not to sure I have enough light just a shop light over it. My kids are going to Nana and Papa's this weekend so I could come pick things up then.
ciscosdad
ciscosdad

Back to top Go down

Anyone have some plants they want to get rid of in Chesterfield? Empty Re: Anyone have some plants they want to get rid of in Chesterfield?

Post  williemcd Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Chris.. I can spare some vals, coboma, hygro... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Anyone have some plants they want to get rid of in Chesterfield? Empty Re: Anyone have some plants they want to get rid of in Chesterfield?

Post  ciscosdad Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:35 pm

that sounds great! can I come get them this weekend?
ciscosdad
ciscosdad

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Sure enough.. WARNING:  I'm a college hoops fanatic...
I've also got some dwarf sag's from Ira avail.. Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Chris.. one additional note.. I'll not be avail on Sunday... Gotta job to do.. Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  ciscosdad Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:38 pm

I can make it by Saturday any time after 9:00am. I will take whatever you will let me get from you. Is Cabomba ok for low light? I only have twin tube shop light on that tank.
ciscosdad
ciscosdad

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:56 pm

10ish is better!.. at least!...Umm.. the plant folks on here can answer your question best but I'll give it a stab... One of the concerns with shoplites is the wattage, another being the "heat" of the bulbs.  I try to stick with 3 watts per gallon, which is modified by deeper tanks.  Another concept I follow is I think 6,500 Kelvins on your bulbs promote better growth.  
I'll stand back now and let the more informed plant folks chime in.  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:04 pm

cabomba is fine for low light. Only time it makes a difference is when it's the red and purple, Bill's is green.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Well... Camboma does require higher light levels than the green variety.  When I had the 125 set up, under a big 4 bulb-t5 set up, I did have some of the red variety.  I'm not sure if what I have left is some of the red variety in need of more light or if it's all green.  I don't know if it's possible to discern the different varieties based upon looks only...   But.. the price is right Chris!  Bill 
p.s.  Someone told me long ago that adding an Iron supplement to the tank will enhance the red coloration.. I've not tried it as I try to stay as natural as possible.. .

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down