VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heaters for life

3 posters

Go down

Heaters for life Empty Heaters for life

Post  neogeo20041 Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:45 am

These past few weeks the temperature has gotten as low as 16 degree Fahrenheit. So my question to everyone who is reading this is what heaters do you trust and would recommend to anyone looking for one??? I personally love using Jager heaters made by Ehiem. Almost all of my tanks has it and they work great. I think this is the only glass heater that you can leave it plugged while doing water changes. I have tested this during water change, Jager heaters have a auto shutoff when they are above water and do not require you to turn it off. The only downside I found with jager heaters is their big size but other then that they are great for any size of tank.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Heaters for life Empty Re: Heaters for life

Post  williemcd Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:57 am

Anik.. didn't you post this question a month or so ago?  I seem to recall Dox stating she bought cheepo's by the bulk....Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:54 am

Yes, Bill, I did say that! Just my humble opinion but just as easy to replace a cheap one as a high end one! They have a certain life span...and I've had cheap ones last for years and high $$ ones break in a few months. BEST thing to do...keep and extra or two on hand. As far as leaving them on with WC....I shut my whole system down when doing that. You only need to get the "SHOCK" of your life ONE TIME to learn THAT lesson!! Neo...you are dealing with electricity and water and wet hands  affraid. Last time I ordered them I got 4 300 watt submersibles for $10 each....have those same ones at 4-5 years old, going strong, temp ALWAYS the same!! I do think two heaters in each tank is a smart idea...especially if your tanks are in a place that would dip below sustainable temp for your fish!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:03 pm

I think doxiemom did but I forgot....I already posted this might as well go with it Smile. Jager heaters aren't very expensive in my opinion and they last a life time. They also have great review. I think they also have true dual which lets you adjust the temperature as close to the actual reading. It's mostly used if your heaters temperature reading is different then what you set it for. Since my first 20 gallon till now I have had only two heaters malfunction. Luckily, I haven't lost anyhow since the first malfunction I make sure all my tanks are at the right temperature as soon as I can open my eyes Smile. Keeping two heaters is actually a good idea but not an option for people with too many tanks.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Having two heaters in a tank is even more urgent with multiple tanks... MTS is generally associated with keeping more esoteric and expensive fish. Skimping on the cost of a second heater when ya have 100's of dollars of fish in a tank wouldn't be my advice.   MY PROBLEM in the cave is POWER supply... I exhaust 35 amp of service if I turn on my space heater and will blow a circuit!  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down