VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planarian worms

4 posters

Go down

Planarian worms Empty Planarian worms

Post  Amp2020 Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:48 am

I got some floating plants from a member here who will not be named. At first it was neat but now they are getting over an inch long and all over the glass. They're only in the shrimp tank but how do I safely transfer the plants to other tanks without risking transferring these pest to other tanks. Looking for a reliable dip method that won't kill the plants.

I'd like to treat the tank also but not sure what to use that won't kill the shrimp and plants.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Planarian worms Empty Re: Planarian worms

Post  williemcd Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:12 am

Anp.... I just gave away 2 gallon zip locks of plants ..... I hope it wasn't from me!   I've not seen ANY critters in my tanks....If so, I've got to contact those that received the plants!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:31 am

Bill not you, me. It's ok, I'll out myself on this one, and sorry amp Sad

Good news, I did get proper ID of these, and they are harmless, let me talk to my friend again tomorrow and I'll post back with the correct ID that might help you to figure out how to eradicate them. Bad news, other than wiping the top lip of the glass above water level and disposing of them, the dog dewormer does not do anything to them. I have them in my shrimp tank too.

They aren't such an issue in a tank with fish since fish slurp them like spaghetti, but the shrimp not so much. I don't have too bad a population since I do wipe them when I notice them. For some reason they like to stay near the top and often just above the water level.

If/when you do water changes, or when the tank needs topped off run a dry paper towel on the side/lip above the water level, they actually look brownish against a white paper towel and you can dispose of them and cut down your population that way at least.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:34 am

Thanks for the tip Kat, I was just about to buy some Safe Guard dewormer but will hold off for now. They're not a big deal. They do tend to gather at the site where food has fallen. I might just use an air line hose to syphon them out each week.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:32 am

Hey all...you DO NOT need any medications!! Just WC of about 20% daily until you no longer see them. Maybe a week?? Then you should look at your maintenance and feeding...Planaria is caused by uneaten food/rotting debris.
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:34 am

Oh...and Kat...yes they CAN be transferred BUT will show up in ANY tank with debris build up.
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:10 pm

These are detritus worms not Planaria.  If these are Planaria they have triangular shaped heads and DID NOT  come from me.   Water changes do no good with these since they cling to the sides of the aquarium above the waterlevel often.   The method I described does help do lessen the amount.  

For back story a little bit, I got these with some plants I got free from a pond center, and met with Amp right after I got them.   I had not even taken the plants home and as so I realized there was a parasite in the plants I contacted Amp and apologized profusely.   I don't anyone to think I give everyone parasites and am not open about it and share what info I have.

Here is my previous post about these, sorry I did not update it with the right name of the worms. https://vafa.forumotion.com/t335-horsehair-worms

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:19 pm

OK...I've never had those worms but Planaria...many times! It does stink when something gets passed to you from some other source!!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down