VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa)

+3
Doxiemom
williemcd
kat12
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) - Page 2 Empty Re: Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa)

Post  kat12 Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:16 am

kat12

Back to top Go down

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) - Page 2 Empty Re: Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa)

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:56 am

Ok, got an email back narrowing down to their 2 guesses and how to narrow down to 2, so they think...... Xiphophorus couchianus

info on them says " the male Monterrey platyfish growing to a maximum overall length of 4.0 cm (1.6 in) and the female 6.0 cm (2.4 in)." so we'll see how large they end up getting, but says he definitely sees more platy in them than swordtail, but I was on the right track with the xiphophorus.

After horrible conditions and probably poor stock, I have 5 left, 3 females and 2 males, sadly none of the Heterandria formosa of the few I got made it even a week. Sad The xiph's seem happy though right now and think at least one of the females is quite a bit pregnant. So we'll see if the population can pick up in a few months or so Very Happy.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:12 am

Kat thanks for the update/information! (I'd hate to get on the wrong side of you!!!!! L Laughing )... Good luck with increasing your stock on em! Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:20 am

I suggest you don't waste too much time and effort in trying to communicate with the supplier. These are wild fish that most likely hitched a ride on some waterfowl and the suppliers most likely don't have a clue as to what they are. There is a slim chance that the supplier had a species in the farm pond at one time, then switched over to feeders and didn't remove all the previous fish since they're just going to be feeders for most people. But still, the suppliers are busy and not in the business of having polite conversations with noncustomers. Even if you're buying their fish, it doesn't mean a thing to them unless you have a wholesale license and making large orders from them directly. It's only in the LFS best interest to have polite communications directly with customers. Even if the customer is only buying a few cents worth of fish.

Best bet is to look up local livebearers in Florida and see if any of them match.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:24 am

When buying feeders for the intention of keeping, I suggest starting an immediate regimen of treating the tank for fungal and bacterial infections. The tanks they come from can sometimes have high amounts of ammonia. This leaves ammonia burns that can cause secondary infections to kill the fish a few days later.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:26 am

Amp.. Dead on... and it prompts me to say that I've a contact in Fla. that has engaged in native habitat fishes of Fla for a number of years... until she had to leave the F/W community due to a reaction to F/W algae. She's a member here (Fern) but doesn't visit too much... I'll email her to see if she'll chime in! Tks for the Prompt! Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:53 am

Amp2020 wrote:I suggest you don't waste too much time and effort in trying to communicate with the supplier. These are wild fish that most likely hitched a ride on some waterfowl and the suppliers most likely don't have a clue as to what they are. There is a slim chance that the supplier had a species in the farm pond at one time, then switched over to feeders and didn't remove all the previous fish since they're just going to be feeders for most people. But still, the suppliers are busy and not in the business of having polite conversations with noncustomers. Even if you're buying their fish, it doesn't mean a thing to them unless you have a wholesale license and making large orders from them directly. It's only in the LFS best interest to have polite communications directly with customers. Even if the customer is only buying a few cents worth of fish.

Best bet is to look up local livebearers in Florida and see if any of them match.

I understand that, but thought worth a try to see if I could gather any info, and more annoyed at the rudeness from the store. I get that they are "feeders" to most, but that word kinda is the same as if a plant is a weed or not. It's all in the eye of the beholder. If the ID I have been given is correct I understand it is not a highly sought after fish, but it is still a fish considered endangered in the wild and and interesting fish for an individual who appreciates the "rawness" of it and the natural beauty. With numerous types of animals people enjoy breeding them to show the rare recessive traits, many looking for the most unique way to do something, with many of those I've seen the health issues etc that go along with those things.

So after that rant, yeah, I didn't expect the supplier to absolutely be able to just rattle something off, but it could have given me a better point to search and possibly another lead. A store unable to at least "humor" their customer really annoys me. The answer I got today was from the ashland fin and feather - they owed me NOTHING had nothing to do with the fish, but happy to try to help. That goes a long way in my book!

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:59 am

williemcd wrote:Kat thanks for the update/information!  (I'd hate to get on the wrong side of you!!!!!  L Laughing )... Good luck with increasing your stock on em!  Bill

Yeah, my wrong side is definitely not a good place to end up Very Happy I get on a task and eventually find a way to do it, it might take me awhile, but I don't mind seeking help on research to find the info I'm seeking.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:01 am

williemcd wrote:Amp.. Dead on... and it prompts me to say that I've a contact in Fla. that has engaged in native habitat fishes of Fla for a number of years... until she had to leave the F/W community due to a reaction to F/W algae.  She's a member here (Fern) but doesn't visit too much... I'll email her to see if she'll chime in!  Tks for the Prompt!  Bill

If Fern has a source of least killies I'd love to have some!!!!!!!!! My parents live in FL but pretty sure my dad would mark me as crazier than he already does (hey, I paid for the holes in my head!!!!)

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:04 am

I've already Emailed fern with the link to your OP.. Bill !

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:06 am

I completely agree. At work, I give every customer the same attention they deserve regardless if they are buying $500 worth of livestock and supplies or if they are buying a single 15 cent rosy red minnow. You never know what will happen if you upset a customer. I've had customers buy a 99 cent betta, but gave them enough information and attention that when I came time to set up a larger tank they came to my store and requested that I be the only one to help them with selecting what they need. Customer loyalty can start from a simple dollar purchase.

The LFS should learn not to mess with local forum members, we have a huge influence on whether or not our members will continue to support their store by sharing our experiences on here.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:43 am

williemcd wrote:I've already Emailed fern with the link to your OP.. Bill !

YAY! Thanks!

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:48 am

Amp2020 wrote:I completely agree. At work, I give every customer the same attention they deserve regardless if they are buying $500 worth of livestock and supplies or if they are buying a single 15 cent rosy red minnow. You never know what will happen if you upset a customer. I've had customers buy a 99 cent betta, but gave them enough information and attention that when I came time to set up a larger tank they came to my store and requested that I be the only one to help them with selecting what they need. Customer loyalty can start from a simple dollar purchase.

The LFS should learn not to mess with local forum members, we have a huge influence on whether or not our members will continue to support their store by sharing our experiences on here.

Yup, forum member or not, you never know who is who.

Gotta mention I also find it sad that my 4 year old daughter knows more about the snails in that store than the employees do! Yes, my husband gets a bit shocked when my daughter is telling him about "teeny the ramshorn" I have a feeling she might be teased as snail girl in kindergarten.... and she'll think it's a compliment! She knows mystery snails as mystery snails, as well as by colors (Ivory, Golden, Dark purple, Light purple, blue.... etc.... do NOT call them white or yellow or she WILL correct Very Happy) She knows "trumpet snails" ok, it sounds like Fumpet snails.... for Malaysian trumpet snails, she knows ramshorns as such, the only ones we have that she's really off on are the Florida apple sails, they are "Moes" and she'll tell you they are really big and they bite and she doesn't want to hold Moe, lol.

She also knows more about what we have than her daddy does Smile I've created a mini me monster Very Happy

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:08 am

Kat, you've passed on a passion that will be a life long gift... Congrats... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:49 am

williemcd wrote:Kat, you've passed on a passion that will be a life long gift... Congrats... Bill

That's another way to put it.... I created a monster :-p Hard to believe in 2.5 weeks she'll be 5! I also have a lot of fish named after my little ponies.....

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Bill..... Call me when you need Cracker answers! Geesh!
Least kilis and Florida green mollies that's what ya got there
nope cant spell today  Embarassed 
Fern over and out  tongue 
Fern
Fern
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Fern/Jill... "bout" time ya dropped in for a visit! We are now just over 1 year old! Folks, Fern is a fish-keeper located in Ft. Meyer Fla... She's the one that helped set up this forum! Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:06 pm

FERN - (or bill call Fern!) Do you have access to more Least Killies you can pretty pretty pretty please mail me?

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  rolesvillemollies Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 pm

Are you still looking for H. formosa? I have a colony of them. Send me a note. Dan

rolesvillemollies

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum