VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa)

+3
Doxiemom
williemcd
kat12
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) Empty Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa)

Post  kat12 Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Smallest live bearer only has about 2 fry per female per month. Anyone had them. Any thought on them?

kat12

Back to top Go down

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) Empty Re: Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa)

Post  williemcd Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:47 pm

Kat.. Never kept them.. can they go in with your endlers without fear of cross breeding?  Bill

p.s. I'll not steal your "thunder"....

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) Empty Re: Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa)

Post  kat12 Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Problem with going in with the endlers is not cross breeding but think would be harder to tell if I get babies off them as soon with them only having 1-2 babies per female per month. Tried to fish out the endler males to get a count on them, man they swim in a container as soon as you put it in the tank, but try to catch them with a net and they know how to stay away from you! and don't know even though endlers will not eat their own babies if there would not be a chance they would eat the least killies.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:34 am

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) 1399046_10152052028270446_529314590_o

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) 1404559_10152052028185446_1232591873_o

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) 1462766_10152052028115446_1984218232_o

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) 1402094_10152052027940446_108232918_o

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) 1401160_10152052028290446_858703092_o

4th picture is wide.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:26 pm

Ok, with research, the smaller ones are the g/s I listed. The larger with the bigger dorsal fin are seeming to be a Xiphophorus not sure which species.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:45 pm

I'll not argue with your appraisal a second!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:05 pm

leaning towards Xiphophorus marmoratus

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:07 pm

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:12 pm

calling round to try to get positive ID on these.... answer.... guppies.... um... NO thanks for your lack of help though!

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:14 am

Well I found someone else to email the pictures to that might know someone who can help or know someone to help. I don't care if it's a stupid question, I want to know what kind the last kind are!

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:44 am

Kat.. perhaps you've taxed the knowledge of this group in your quest!.. Please share with us what your responses are! Bill
(yea.. still at it at 4:45)..

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:28 am

I didn't mean negative of anyone here not knowing. More annoyed the source of the fish is insistant about it being guppies, and has no interest in helping me further in id-ing what it really is.

Welcome to the addictive part of my personality. When I pursue something I do so full heartedly.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:58 am

Kat..I haven't offered to help out here simply because this one is outside my realm but GOOD FOR YOU in your quest to properly ID this cool little fish! You make me want to set up a planted live bearer tank!! And BTW....we might have to nickname our forum the "all nighters"! Seems we do keep some odd sleep schedules! Sleep Sleep Idea scratch Shocked 
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:29 am

Xiphophorus couchianus

http://www.xiphophorus.txstate.edu/stockcenter/galleries/platyfish.html

No no no, I didn't mean any annoyance at any of you - like I said.

Just frustration and "real world" refusal to help me. I mean we are talking to the point that the store did not even want to net the fish - I did it myself when they gave up!

I love my livebearers, and learning I like "microfish" as well as species specific tanks.

So to make these guys make more sense.... they are from Fin and Feather in Richmond. Not the best place but..... anywho. Add to my oddness.... these are the feeder tank hidden in the back, on the top shelf, by the bathroom (which I often have to take my almost 5 year old daughter to.

SO the tank I've looked a few times and seen "feeder" guppies. The wild type coloration, and I'm nostalgic about those. I don't remember what I was sick with, but I remember my mom picking me up a bunch of them once as a child and setting up a wide round fishbowl on top of the tv. I also remember them all quickly dying off - no heat no filtration etc. BUT Still remembered loving the markings etc of these little fish. I've seen 3 sources for them - 1 as a child, 1 in college, and 1 now. Most pet stores don't carry them and not often available online.

SOOOO fast forward. Decided these are the stock for the hex tank (sorry Neo) see how they do with proper care etc. This time took a look with a step ladder while daughter went potty. It wasn't all guppies. asked for some of each, they pulled all guppies except 1.... so went back and asked again, for mostly the other types but some guppies ok.... they netted 4 of the other type, I netted another 9 of the unknown type (and 1 guppy) They told me they order these feeders in orders 100 and they thought they were all guppies. Though did get an employee to agree not all guppies once I explained the differences to them. I called today to talk to the manager to ask for contact info for the supplier they order these from, along with the item number or such, to try to get ID on the 1 unknown type or possibly info on what could have accidently gotten mixed with this stock. They told me I can't contact the supplier and that the supplier won't speak to me, but did take name and number and said they would call me back. (if I don't hear tomorrow I will call back at naptime and ask again) I'm not trying to cut the middle man, I am just trying to ID what I have! I did also call Feather and Fin of Ashland and the owner there was VERY nice and very helpful. He says he doesn't get much business in fish anymore, and doesn't bother to order feeder guppies and not even sure his supplier would be the same as the other store or not. BUT he has a copy of the .... fish atlas if I'd like to come pick it up and borrow it, as well as knows someone with knowledge to wild fish, mostly local, but that person may know someone who can help me. So emailed pictures and he's going to forward them - wonder if it is a local person we know? I'm not insisting on an instant answer from anyone I've contacted, just looking for willingness to help and a source that can help me know where to look. Being told by 4 employees of the other store that they are all guppies, kinda irritating!

So there is my explanation/rant.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Seems like you put a lot of working into Iding. Hex deserve to have what you want in it Razz. Have you checked http://livebearers.org/. They usually have a lot of stuff I just don't have time to go through everything Sad. I'm starting to get busy with my breeding program and work. Anyway hope that site is useful if not then I'm going to look around the other forums.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) Variatus-platy  can it really be that simple?

Xiphophorus variatus

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:44 pm

So now you've Piqued my interest!.. So you now think it's a variable platy? Capable of growing to a size of almost 3 inches? It does look like one... Thank's for the education... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm still grasping for straws here so donno yet.

latest facebook answer is mosquito fish..... um... no....

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:43 pm

called back today, they said they haven't heard back (I'm guessing didn't even contact) and said I'll have to wait to talk to the owner/manager.... and he won't be in til Monday. Not knowing or being misled is one thing. Helping a customer ID your merchandice and not being willing to help is entirely another.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:01 pm

It would fire my ire for sure.....Perhaps a write up in the Review section would give them a wake-up call? Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Or I'll make a nice daily call for awhile Very Happy Still thinking of getting some more least killie first before they put my photo in the office. Might make a trip up monday to talk to the owner/manager whoever it is in person, much harder to avoid questions when the person is standing in front of you.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Might head there Monday to check on few things.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:16 pm

What ya thinking of checking for - ask about what type of fish are in the tank! I'll tell you which tank!

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:07 am

OOOH   OOOH OOOH

Body shape - check
dorsal fin - check
markings - check
tail shape - check
size - seems more likely a check
markings check if you assume mine are poor examples.... from probably really bad over crowded conditions etc.....

Xiphophorus pygmaeus
Considering Least killies ( h. Formosa) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXzGuO0ZRKsMiVZ5CCTOwqjcUXTM99rYIEXmOug2M9gP8n9x0KLA

http://www.elacuariodulce.com/t2318-peces-de-pequeno-tamano-adecuados-para-nano-acuarios

http://www.northtrop.co.uk/xiphpyg.html

Very Happy

what do you guys think?????????

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:16 am

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum