VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

filter repairers?

3 posters

Go down

filter repairers? Empty filter repairers?

Post  kat12 Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:03 am

The filter on my 26 gallon died tonight and I have another filter that is not working, anyone good at repairing them? I put a different one on the 26 gallon, but I wouldn't mind having the other 2 working so I have emergency ones still.

kat12

Back to top Go down

filter repairers? Empty Re: filter repairers?

Post  williemcd Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Kat.. Help us help ya!
1. What type of filter are ya talking about? Canister/Hob.
2. What brand of filter is it?
3. What is the filter doing upon being plugged in?
3.a. Some HOBs (Hang On Back) filters have removable motors that will allow you to replace...others are built with the motors as being an integral part of the unit and not replaceable.
3.b. If it is a HOB, does the impeller even turn? (Pull the whole hob off, empty, remove the intake tube exposing the impeller housing. Pull the impeller and plug in the unit. Slowly lower the impeller into the housing. As you get closer to seating the impeller, you should feel the impeller wanting to spin... If it doesn't, you've a bad motor. If it does, insure the impeller housing is spotlessly clean. Examine the shaft on the impeller to see if there is any algae buildup or, common with me, a collection of string like material (Floss particles?) binding the impeller shaft itself...
NOTE! When handling the impeller, be careful not to stress the shaft as it is relatively delicate... DON'T bend it!
Folks! Chime in to assist!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:43 pm

One is a tetra whisper HOB filter (20-40 gallon maybe?) the motor does work but it doesn't suck up water. I wonder if I got the got the wrong intake set for that one since I got it used so if anyone has one that the motor died and thinks you have spare tubing that would fit it I'd like to try that. the motor makes noise, the impeller moves, but no water brought in.

the other is an Aqueon HOB the motor doesn't seem to be working. I emailed the company, that filter was only used for 3 months and there is no reason for it to only last that long! it is the one that comes with their 26 gallon bowfront set.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:02 pm

Kat...re the Tetra one.....
I hate to bring this up ... but did you prime the hob canister? I've sold a number of HOBs to folks that weren't aware that you need to fill the filtration containment area with tank water until all of the air is expelled!
I've a tote full of various tubes/intakes but they don't have a manufacturer's stamp on em... so it's "poke and hope" effort to replace it. If ya wanna drop by to pick one up... Bring the filter if ya do and we can test it on a tank...
Aqueon.. I'd wait on their response.... I'd think they'd stand behind their product. Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:27 pm

yes I primed it Very Happy Where are you located?

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:41 pm

1 mile west on Rt. 360 (Hull St. Rd.) from where it intersects Rt. 288. My wife is going out of town tomorrow but I'll be home all weekend! Bill
cell: 804 516 9335

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks bill. So now to use the filter again it's been out long enough the bacteria is shot. I have a new carbon for it. The tank has like 4 fake plants in it. Do I still need to figure some used media so it doesn't do a mini cycle? Can't throw in live plants since monster snails live in that tank.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:46 pm

It'd be MY guess that your substrate will be carrying enough beneficial bacteria to support your re-install... Ya shoulda grabbed some filter media while you were here today!..

Update: We got One filter working.. have no idea why we can't get the 2nd one working..

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:51 pm

williemcd wrote:It'd be MY guess  that your substrate will be carrying enough beneficial bacteria to support your re-install... Ya shoulda grabbed some filter media while you were here today!..

Update:  We got One filter working.. have no idea why we can't get the 2nd one working..
I could always grab some out of one of the algae tanks!!!!!! The 55 is looking better from just being covered for a day, daughter gave me a high 5 for it! so think another day or 2 and I'll tent the 29 starting tonight and boobietrap it to get the cat not to sit on it.....

Getting 1 working was better than getting neither working, still need to get a stash of spare filters.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:15 pm

calling customer service now, cross your fingers.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:03 pm

take the propeller door off... it comes apart further? took out the propeller and cleaned the area with a qtip and it kicks right on!

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Gratz on working filters Very Happy
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down