VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Methylene Blue Dosing

3 posters

Go down

Methylene Blue Dosing Empty Methylene Blue Dosing

Post  COCOBIRD Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:55 pm

Ok...

The methylene blue came in and I 1/2 dosed the 75 tank. I've read online and there are all different kinds of dosing instructions...

Dose once and do wc until it's clear.

Dose everyday with 50% wc.

Does every other day with no wc.

Thoughts?

Also, it's killed off my good bacteria, so now there's *really* none in there. Will the fish be ok? Plants tbd.
COCOBIRD
COCOBIRD

Back to top Go down

Methylene Blue Dosing Empty Re: Methylene Blue Dosing

Post  Doxiemom Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 pm

OH NO!! You do not want to put meth blue in your big tank. It will stain EVERYTHING! Why are you using it? That will help in deciding how you should dose.
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  COCOBIRD Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 am

I used the blue from someone else's suggestion. I did 1/2 dose yesterday, then added more today, let it set for about an hour, and did a 50% wc.

Treating for that damned cotton fungus/fin rot that I thought was gone but really wasn't and was on multiple fish. I'm not worried about the staining.

I've started to co treat with Seachem StressGuard. The fish are super active. I've lost some of the more delicate plants, but the broad leaf seem to be hanging on so far.

I'm hoping that the treatment will be over by the end of the week.

I'm also missing two fish, an albino cory and a regular pleco. I think they're buried under the subtrate.
COCOBIRD
COCOBIRD

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:57 am

I can't stress enough how important it is for daily water testing for ammonia. Your pH may also start to drop if you don't check on it. Any LFS should do free water testing for you if you don't own any test kits.

If there is ammonia starting to build up from the bodies of the missing fish, then you'll need to start doing daily water changes till the levels are safe again, and then continue with treating with medications

Did you remember to remove the activated carbon from your filter?

What's the water temperature at?

I would hesitate on taking any more advice from your source. If they suggested treating the whole tank without telling you about how bad that stuff stains silicone and all decorations then they probably have never used it before and giving advice based on very limited knowledge. You should also clean the gravel really well with a gravel vacuum to remove as much waste as possible since the benificial bacteria have most likely died off a bit. You want to remove as much organic matter as possible to reduce sources of ammonia before treating with any medications. I also suggest getting some air stones running to help airate the water during treatment.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down