VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tank Trim.

5 posters

Go down

Tank Trim. Empty Tank Trim.

Post  williemcd Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Well folks, we all run across those wood-like trimmed tanks. I'm not a big fan of them but it looks like I'm picking one up for my re-aligned venture into salt. BUT I don't want the wood-grain trim. Has anyone gotten satisfactory results by painting the trim? Krylon Fusion after some good sanding to insure bonding. I'd think flat black would be the best finish.. Feedback? Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Tank Trim. Empty Re: Tank Trim.

Post  IRAligon Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:38 pm

you can sand the wood grain off

IRAligon

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Ira.. no repainting required?

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:00 pm

You can sand off the wood grain but the plastic is still brown underneath. If the stand is black then stick with a paint for plastic after sanding with 400 or 800 grit sand paper. I'd also suggest using rubbing alcohol to remove any oil from touching it. Another option is to use a wide strip of vinyl tape, such as electrical tape, and carefully trim the tape around the edges for a clean look. Vinyl tape usually holds up well even with the eventual water spills. I've also seen people add wood trim that matches the stand and have it extend up enough to hide the tank's trim.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Sand it with a superfine paper and spray it with Krylon paint for plastic. Auto pin striping tape also works if you can find one that wide.
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 am

+1 to all of the above!
Fern
Fern
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content