VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two gallon canister filter from a plastic container

3 posters

Go down

Two gallon canister filter from a plastic container  Empty Two gallon canister filter from a plastic container

Post  chiclidlover Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:44 am

1... Submersible fountain pump (200 gallons an hour )
1... 1/2 in PVC pipe
1... 1/2 in PVC cap
3 feet 5/8 clear line
Filter floss, lava rock , drill 5/8 & 1/8 drill bit , measuring tape
Zip ties suction cups an large one gallon container with air tight lid
Knitting mess
First measure the distance you have to place the PVC pipe sprayer for the water to flow out next cut you PVC pipe to length divide the distance by three an measure out the holes to be drilled in to PVC with two feet I drilled eight holes this will give me a good spray an create some o2 bubbles
Next measure the distance from PVC pipe ending to desired location of canister
Next drill one hole in the lid to it should fit snugg no glue needed
Next drill another hole in the side close to the bottom this is your flow line for the PVC
Once holes are drilled an tested place lava Rock 1/4 the mass of the container next knitting mesh , fill the rest with filter floss ( if your a carbon user it can be added before filter floss close container conect hoses hand tight place canister in tank allow water to enter before connecting fountain pump one air bubbles have stop conect top hose to fountain pump adjust PVC pipe with zip ties an suction cups ( dollar tree suction cups with
Plastic clips) place on aquarium wall an watch you fountain filter make tiny air bubbles an filter a 55 three times an hour a fourty 4 times etc ... I've had my project running for a month just changed the filter floss an was amazed at the amount of bio I had vs my hob there was little comparison an the fish love the little bubbles it makes. This whole project cost me ten bucks an I'm pumping a great deal of o2 back into the tank. An lava rock holds bacteria for atleast six months before it needs to be changed I wouldn't use gravel or Pfs there's not enough holes for bacteria to form an multiply in sponges can be used also an the plastic scrubbiez
Remember you don't need sealant if drilled right
If you don't have lava rock filter floss would do just fine!!
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Two gallon canister filter from a plastic container  Empty Re: Two gallon canister filter from a plastic container

Post  williemcd Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:20 am

Cal.. I've built a number of them in the past.. and in FACT have a tote full of submersible pumps going up for sale soon!  Cheap!  Bill 
p.s.  When ya stopping by for the Pleco and the java moss?  Bill Still

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Two gallon canister filter from a plastic container  Empty Re: Two gallon canister filter from a plastic container

Post  chiclidlover Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:10 am

Ill be out your way Tuesday afternoon thanks bill
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  verbal Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:46 pm

any pics?

verbal

Back to top Go down

Post  chiclidlover Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Yeah verbal ill load some later when I come back from fishing
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  chiclidlover Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:17 pm

Two gallon canister filter from a plastic container  Photoo10
Two gallon canister filter from a plastic container  Photo_40
Two gallon canister filter from a plastic container  Photo_41
Two gallon canister filter from a plastic container  Photo_42
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down