VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One tank grows like crazy!

2 posters

Go down

One tank grows like crazy! Empty One tank grows like crazy!

Post  williemcd Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:19 am

I've a 150 that grows Amz. Swords & Vals like crazy but can't maintain Crypts.  A 120, with pretty much the same lighting cannot grow Swords or Vals but the Crypts thrive!  Any plant guru's out there to give a bread and butter explanation?  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

One tank grows like crazy! Empty Re: One tank grows like crazy!

Post  verbal Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:03 am

I am far from a plant expert, but I will take a guess. My first guess would have been the lighting, and it could still be different if the bulbs are older on one of the tanks.

I think it might be the substrate. I think the swords need to get more nutrients from their roots than crypts. I am not sure if vals are as picky. It also could be merely substrate depth, crypts have shallower roots, so they may not need as deep substrate.

I think in the 150 the vals/swords are probably out competing the crypts, rather than the conditions being bad for the crypts on their own.

verbal

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:39 am

Fair response Verb... FWIW.. the 150 with good sword and val growth has a substrate of PFS.. the tank that supports crypts is covered with fine gravel... I'll try new bulbs next I guess but really, I'm quite lax (lazy and cheap) and both sets of bulbs are probably aged quite a bit!... One note... the 150 has dual triple 3' t8's.. and the 120 has a dbl T5 4' fixture with a supporting dual 4' t8 fixture.... As it's quite late in the eve, I'll not disturb the fish to ascertain the K's nor watts... (yep... still up and ready to call it a "nite")... Bill

Oh.. and substrate is probably quite equal... 2"+

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down