VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does feeding guppy fry to larger fish promote canibalism?

5 posters

Go down

Does feeding guppy fry to larger fish promote canibalism? Empty Does feeding guppy fry to larger fish promote canibalism?

Post  Doxiemom Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:35 am

Topic for debate, experience, opinions.....I'm on the fence here.
I read in several articles about stocking 2 male and several female guppies to create a "natural food chain" for larger fish.
What are your thoughts on feeding guppy fry to larger fish like Angels or Cichlids?
Do you think it would teach the parent fish to devour their own fry? [url=http://www.tipt [url=http://www.tipt
Do you find it an acceptable practice? or advantageous in any way?
There is no right or wrong answer....Just looking to get some input!

PS...if you are a Guppy OR and Angelfish...you may not post as your opinion is biased!! lol!

Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Does feeding guppy fry to larger fish promote canibalism? Empty Re: Does feeding guppy fry to larger fish promote canibalism?

Post  Fern Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Angels rarely will eat them and it isn't good for African rift lake cichlids to have that much protein in their diet. 'New world' cichlids it would be fine, it will increase their aggressiveness some, not much but some. If you like your large cichlids fistey and enjoy watching the hunt it can be a fun treat, but most will eat the adult guppys or other live bearers.

I never used feeders unless I bred them myself... Too much risk of introducing disease to the tank.
If you want to breed your own feeders there are much better fish to use than guppys, convicts and Red jewels make excellent feeder breeders, they have large (100's) batches of fry do all the work for you and dont eat their own fry. I used to have a pair of red jewels in a 10g to breed feeders, they are small enough that a mated pair is good in just a 10g or a 20g if you are a little lax on water changes. Guppys are a pain for making feeders, you have to keep in mind that they will eat their own young so theres already competition for the fry!
Fern
Fern
Admin

Back to top Go down

Does feeding guppy fry to larger fish promote canibalism? Empty Re: Does feeding guppy fry to larger fish promote canibalism?

Post  Doxiemom Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Fern....do you think it creates an affinity for Angels to devour their own young if they get used to eating other fry??
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  FishVixen Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 am

Angels will eat whatever so I really don't think feeding them feeder fry would hurt as a treat now and then. Like Fern though if I did use feeders I would grow my own. Now if you said Oscars I would say start a breeder tank.
FishVixen
FishVixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 am

Yeah, would NEVER buy feeder fish from a LFS!! The articles I read say to put the guppy adults (2 m/4-6 F) in with your Angels to create a steady supply of live food. I've been breeding angels for a long time and have never tried doing this. May be worth a test!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  FishVixen Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:29 am

I did that with mollies now have a tankful of Mollies which I can't just flush. Best to do there own tank IMO.
FishVixen
FishVixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:49 am

LOL.....may be best to stick with the tried & true methods then!! Laughing
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  FishVixen Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 am

In fact thinking about an oscar just to help out the overpopulation of mollies. LOL
FishVixen
FishVixen

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:27 pm

I have feed guppy fries to my growing angels Razz I felt bad while feeding them but I had to keep my population in check. I personally don't like using guppy fries as feeder fish but its so healthy for my growing angels Smile. If you do end up breeding guppy as feeder fish don't be like me and feed high quality guppies Razz.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:51 pm

I used to have a bunch of breeding pairs of angels and in every tank I had a different kind of guppys never had the angels eat the guppy fry the guppys would always eat their own fry and thats it. I did have a pair that were guppy killers, when they were breeding the male angel would slam any guppy that got too close, he hit them so hard he broke their backs, but he never even thought of eating them.
So I say dont bother unless you like guppys, you are gonna end up with a lot of them.
They are good to help get a finicky pair to not eat their eggs or fry, it makes the pair protective and helps nudge them to be better parents, I have used that trick before.
Fern
Fern
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  verbal Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:09 am

A Fern mentioned, I think Red Jewels(or Convicts). Are likely the best option for producing feeders.

If you are breeding livebearers you should probably have some type of fry-eater. You can do it passively by stocking tanks with something like angels that will pick of most of the fry. Or you can be more active and have some predator in a separate tank for the offspring that are of lower quality.

verbal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down