VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rearing Rams...

3 posters

Go down

Rearing Rams... Empty Rearing Rams...

Post  williemcd Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:09 am

Well.. it's only fair to share the downside of an effort.. so..
I'm down to about 12 fry from the Bolivians... I really wasn't prepared for them as I'd only set up for the Angel fry!... It's been two days and later today I'll try to rescue the remaining fry.
They are taking Decap'd brine shrimp and some of Ken's Fry food # 2 (dox?)..
Next time I'll be super ready and strive for an 80% survival rate... When I get a successful group, you'll be the first to enjoy them!
Oh.. I hand feed the kids by submerging my hand deep into the tank to release the food... Both mom and dad appear to be aware my intentions are good!.. Unlike freaking Angels....
My token research tells me they'll be good to go for round two in about 3 weeks and I WILL be on top of their efforts.... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Rearing Rams... Empty Re: Rearing Rams...

Post  williemcd Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:11 am

Well.. the Bolivians were most cordial with their spawning efforts but now they're decidedly are being PITA's... From an easy access point to pull the fry, they've now relocated to the back center, behind a monster Amazon Sword and protected additionally with some drift wood!.. Feeding them is a real issue!  Bill  
p.s. Chris.. the fry made an appearance just after you left... and then again after Cichlidlover left today!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  ciscosdad Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:28 am

Just shy I guess. hope I can find the time to come back when I'm not so rushed. The wife does not share my love for fish,especially small ones that you cant see from across the room. All my tanks are small so small fish. She puts up with it but there is only a small window of time before she gets annoyed. needless to say she did not share my excitement about my latest spawn and could not understand why I had to go to your house at that moment. Sorry I was so rushed.
ciscosdad
ciscosdad

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:32 am

No problem Chris.. none at all... A couple of times a week, one or two or three will drop on in to swap tales.. Or watch HOOPS!  Saturday is a big day here especially this weekend... Syracuse vs. Duke @ Duke... 
You don't know my wife yet, but I can't keep a tank within the house!  I'm 100% relegated to the "cave"... Which is probably a bit of sane influence I need!  Later.. Bill  Basketball

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:39 am

Bill, cant wait to see what you do with these fry! I'm clueless about them but aren't MW really good food for them?

Spouses and fish tanks.....LOL...I sneak a new tank in the house when Scott's not looking. As long as he dumps $ into Jet Ski's....I have leverage!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Dox... I'm not too confident about any positive results with this batch.  The parents have them tucked away so deeply, pulling them is pretty much impossible.  I might end up with a few that grow out to size naturally, but the next time I am definitely going to pull the eggs... Another couple of weeks at most... Plus I should have a batch of GBR's coming my way!... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Right now, the only viable means of feeding the fry is to use first bites... I soak it in a small cup of water, then take a 3-4 foot length of airline tubing and vacuum the food, immerse the line and blow the food into the suspected clutch holding area.  The distance from the top front of the tank, to the back bottom of the tank is 27"... Now how can ya get M/W's down through that water column?  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Bill...they sink to the bottom and live for 24 hrs....may be worth a try!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:21 pm

It surely won't hurt to try it!... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down