VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hormone Enhancement and Inbreeding:

3 posters

Go down

Hormone Enhancement and Inbreeding: Empty Hormone Enhancement and Inbreeding:

Post  williemcd Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:46 am

Why is Inbreeding Bad for German Blue Rams?

• In the wild, German Blue Ram's immune system genes are continuously shuffled with diverse gene pools resulting in a mass combination of antibodies being produced. The more types of antibodies, the better the defense against the various invading germs and virus.
  • Inbreeding as well as careless backyard breeding often lead to poor immune systems in German Blue Rams because they lack the genetic diversity that's needed for producing healthy amount of antibodies naturally.

Danger of Hormone-Injected Blue Rams
Watch out! Many blue rams are mass-produced and injected with hormones to force their colors.

• They tend to die early as they are much less hardy
  • While some are fertile, they are often sterile
  • They have a much higher rate of carrying genetic defects and tend to produce unhealthy and disabled offspring
  • Hormones tend to alter their personality from peaceful to aggressive and grumpy
  • Hormone-injection practice weakens the specimens and reduces their lifespan. 

How to Avoid Hormone-Injected Blue Rams

• Hormone-free blue ram's colors come in gradually with full colors emerging at age 6-8 months. If they are juveniles showing adult colors, they are hormone-injected.

• Blue rams are shy and easily stressed. When they are under stress, their colors tend to fade temporarily as their natural physical response. If the blue rams are showing their best colors in situation where they are likely to be stressed (such as moving or change in environment), they are hormone-injected..

• Hormone-free healthy blue rams exhibit beautiful curves from their body to tail fin, and their fins would show beautiful fluid movement as they swim. Hormone-injected blue rams and their offspring often show physical defects such as tail fins being handicapped � showing no curves and exhibiting rigid movement.

• Only buy from a trusted, reputable breeder or dealer

I stole this from a site:    Bill 

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Hormone Enhancement and Inbreeding: Empty Re: Hormone Enhancement and Inbreeding:

Post  kat12 Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:48 am

can you link the source?

kat12

Back to top Go down

Hormone Enhancement and Inbreeding: Empty Re: Hormone Enhancement and Inbreeding:

Post  williemcd Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:53 am

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:17 am

link doesn't work

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:19 am

Kat, it works for me!  But.. go to Aquabid, select Apisto's and look for a seller/breeder named Yunite.. .each of his listings has the text I quoted.  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:20 am

Oh.. plus his photo's & vids are top-notch regarding GBR's... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:47 am

Trying to cross reference his claims I'm not finding any info on it other than from him. Not fully agreeing with his logic.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:54 am

Kat.. he and his son have 51 out of 51 feedbacks on a positive nature... No negatives.  I'll do more research on Hormone enhancement but logically speaking, being a naturalist, I too think let nature takes it's course and let at best selective breeding drive the features of a specie rather than a chemical infusion.. Bill 
p.s.  If you've a line on hormone free breeders, please chime in!... Bill Still! <grin>

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:40 am

That feedback is only from starting on aquabid slightly before Jun 19 2013. Most the time positive feed back on that sort of site means fish arrived alive, and shipped in a timely manner. It means nothing about the long term quality of the fish. His Ebay feedback goes back further, but is on the same basis.

http://www.germanbluerams.com/faqs/#knowledge-base would be where you would expect him to post what his knowledge is based on - sources etc and instead it's just his personal thoughts on the subjects.

Also if they are against inbreeding, that would mean all their fry would have to be separated from ALL siblings and all placed with a "tank full" of non related fry to form breeding pairs to be sold. http://www.germanbluerams.com/shop/1-breeding-pair-german-blue-rams/

There are other ebay sellers who sell german blue rams with FAR higher feedback than this seller.

Also odd that to keep adding unrelated fish to their breeding practices, that they don't mention ANY other breeders who they work with etc.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:44 am

Kat, not to get into an argument.. but AB is a community dedicated solely to aquaculture... EBay IMHO is not much more than a late night tv hawker selling "stuff".. Sorta like bill Mays... Of course, I'll check out your links/sources and investigate Ebay in the a.m.  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:21 am

Kat , to answer your very logical question....we refer to inbreeding differently when applied to this hobby. A sibling cross for one to two generations is common practice and for some reason, not considered inbreeding as we humans know it. We refer to that as line-breeding. It's done to enhance the very best traits from a chosen pair. After that...an outcross takes place (or DOES IN MY TANKS). It is still HIGHLY debated as to whether actually inbreeding causes genetic defects or assists in making them visible enough to cull out!! I could go on and on here but easier for you to research and create your own theories!! Very good debate here....
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:52 am

Doxiemom wrote:Kat , to answer your very logical question....we refer to inbreeding differently when applied to this hobby. A sibling cross for one to two generations is common practice and for some reason, not considered inbreeding as we humans know it. We refer to that as line-breeding. It's done to enhance the very best traits from a chosen pair.  After that...an outcross takes place (or DOES IN MY TANKS). It is still HIGHLY debated as to whether actually inbreeding causes genetic defects or assists in making them visible enough to cull out!! I could go on and on here but easier for you to research and create your own theories!! Very good debate here....

I understand linebreeding/inbreeding/out crosses. Animals or humans, inbreeding is still defined the same way, however it is much more often accepted as a valuable tool with breeding animals. I have done research for several years in terms of numerous species of animals. The breeder mentioned I see his personal theories, as well as self contradictions. I however do not see anything backing up his theories. From the info he has supplied for all we know he's just getting a wild caught pair, having them spawn and selling the fry, and then moving on to another new pair.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum