VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sexing Discus.

4 posters

Go down

Sexing Discus. Empty Sexing Discus.

Post  williemcd Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:43 pm

It's time for me to select a pair out of a six pack for spawning. I did some research on how to select the candidates. Has anyone a better method of selection than the following?
A potential method for sexing discus
Sexing Discus. Male10
Sexing Discus. Female10

Sexing discus has always been problematic at best. However, I recently read an article in Diskus Brief which describe a method for sexing Discus that has been very reliable for me. The method described uses "geometry" to determine sex ... Picture a discus facing to your left ... you would be looking at it's side. Find the Dorsal (Top) and Anal (bottom) fins and look where the fins slope down toward the Caudal (tail) fin ... make sure you're looking at the fins after they have curved back toward the tail. The Dorsal and Anal Fins become (almost) straight after the fins curve down (or up) toward the Caudal Fin ... extend an imaginary line along this straight section of the 2 fins back toward the tail which just touches the Dorsal & Anal Fins past the Caudal Fin. These two imaginary lines should intersect behind the fish. The key to sexing the fish is where the lines cross the Caudal fin. If they pass through the Caudal Fin, the fish is most likely a FEMALE. If they miss or just touch the Caudal Fin, then most likely it is a MALE.
Logically, this makes sense, since the Male fish tend to have higher bodies than the females (causing the lines to miss the tail).

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Sexing Discus. Empty Re: Sexing Discus.

Post  Alowishus Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Can discus not be vented?

Alowishus

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Al.. I'm not sure what your asking. Are you referring to the breeding tubes and the variance in them? If so, I'm trying to select prior to breeding activity occurs...

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Alowishus Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Well, with Africans, you can just 'look up their skirts' at any time and tell who's who - doesn't have to be spawning time. Does that not fly with discus?

Alowishus

Back to top Go down

Post  FishVixen Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:53 pm

This method well sometimes work but with so much cross breeding in discus the only certain is as with angels a viable brood of fry!!!! LOL Easiest way is to let them pair naturally once you know for sure then put a male and female together.
FishVixen
FishVixen

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 pm

No..looking up their skirts doesn't apply with Discus. It was suggested elsewhere to set out a pic of a six-pack of bud, the sports section at one end of a tank.. and at the other end a pic of some shoes and some makeup and they'll let ya know in that manner.

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Alowishus Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:12 pm

That may not be entirely reliable, either, lol.

Now that I think about it, every species I've kept except one has been dimorphic, so I've never had to wonder, really. Even those males who lay way low can almost always be picked out by coloration.
Sounds frustrating.

Alowishus

Back to top Go down

Post  FishVixen Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:54 pm

I've had angels and heard of Discus that 2 females mate. (of course no viable eggs) and some males are just infertile. So like I said until you get a viable spawn no guaranty!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
FishVixen
FishVixen

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Well the selection process is complicated by the fact that a few of them engage in "confrontations". The question is are these occurrences courtship or alpha/beta domination among two of the same gender.

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:38 am

Just gotta watch their tubes when they drop, same as angel tubes. Shape may mislead you.
Bowing is a pre mating ritual along with lots of rubbing and shaking, you see that odds are you have a pair, but like Vix said it could be two females.
Fighting is them figuring out who could be worthy, all hell breaks out when they reach that age, they just all fight. And they will up their slime coat at that point too so some will literally be dripping with slime, another 'worthiness' thing, gotta feed the young!
You can break pairs with discus most of them are ok with it, but you do get the really attached pair once in a while that really are mated for life.

Fern
Fern
Admin

Back to top Go down