VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Glo-Fish color - Galactic Purple Tetra

5 posters

Go down

New Glo-Fish color - Galactic Purple Tetra Empty New Glo-Fish color - Galactic Purple Tetra

Post  Amp2020 Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 pm

What are your thoughts on the new Galctic Purple GloFish tetra? Just picked up two of them today and have them swimming with some green, pink, and regular black skirt tetras in a 38 gallon tank.

Let's hear your thoughts about this color, any color, or about all GloFish in general. Are you Pro GloFish? Do you feel its right to genetically modify fish for the fish keeping hobby? Would you ever own one?

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Glo-Fish color - Galactic Purple Tetra Empty Re: New Glo-Fish color - Galactic Purple Tetra

Post  Amp2020 Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:45 pm

New Glo-Fish color - Galactic Purple Tetra IMAGE_541

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Glo-Fish color - Galactic Purple Tetra Empty Re: New Glo-Fish color - Galactic Purple Tetra

Post  williemcd Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:30 pm

Amp... you've opened up a can of worms there!..... This club was formed basically upon the premise of such an issue: Flower-horns.....The ball is in your court on this one!... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:08 am

I personally don't think it's right to sell modified fish commercially. First, because its not naturally possible, secondly there should be strict rules on genetic modification for commercial reasons. It's still just my opinion though. I have been reading up about genetics and lets just some you can do some interesting things with it.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:47 am

I'm not a fan of them, my daughter keeps asking for some and I keep telling her no.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:36 am

The whole point of this is to get members to discuss and post their opinions. No one is right or wrong. It's always interesting to hear how others feel about genetic modification of animals. Not the biggest can of worms I can open but certainly an interesting one at that.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:19 am

I'll speak up...since most of you know I have these breeding in my tanks! I LOVE them! I have a blue moonlight that comes on at night and all you can see are schools of these super bright fish in the darkness....So awesome!
Contrary to rumor...they are not "injected" with dye. The offspring hatch TRUE to the color of the parent. The embryo's of a distant relative fish were altered. As far as it being cruel, it isn't. Injecting each fish like those ones that have color in the store and then it fades...that's horrible!
As Amp said..no right or wrong...just another opinion.
PS...I plan to be 1st in line when Angels with this coloring are available here in the US!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:02 pm

I would love to mess with some myself but not for selling :0
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:06 pm

my worm from the can? All personal opinion and based upon NO research. IMHO, gene modification occurs quite often in nature! How do you explain albino fish that will breed true for the most part? Another point: There are/were 4 recognized varieties of Discus.... we can now shop for 100's of "varieties" that have been developed by selective breeding... or genetic modification via breeding.. Just because mankind didn't physically alter the genes doesn't mean the genes aren't altered! As Dox said, dye injection is a horrible trend!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Think of how many tetras are being spared since GloFish have been introduced. Pet stores are moving away from dyed tetras in favor of the healthier GloFish.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:43 am

Just got a shipment of more glofish in today and had to buy another. This time it was a pink one. Maybe I'm color blind but it looks orange to me and its my favorite color. There was a nice sized one in the bag and I took it home. The only color I don't have is the orange colored ones (which look yellow to me). All the orange ones I've seen have been small and I'd like to get one at a decent size. Even if they look yellow they still look nice. If I ever decide to try breeding tetras these will be the first fish I'd attempt. I still need to learn how to tell the difference in their sex. None of my glofish have the obvious belly that I've seen on female white skirt tetras. I'm hoping that all my glofish are not males.

Doesn't anyone know what happens if you mix different colors? Or what happens when glofish are mixed with non-glofish tetras?

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:53 am

Amp...go on eBay & get one of those blue LED lights....i have just small one but the Glos POP in the darkness. I love it!!

To answer you breeding questions.....
1.If you breed a NON Glo to a Glo you will get both regular AND Glo tetras...BUT your Glos may be a duller color (i don't do this)
2.If you breed "mixed" colors of Glos...you will get a few of each color and some oddball colors.
3. Breeding two true colors will produce Glo and a few NON Glo fry. An estimate is about 20% will be regular tetras! You can tell by about day three of free swimming.
All of this is based on the Danio Glofish tetras, but genetics should still work the same way!!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:41 pm

So does the gene work as a recessive or dominant gene???
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks for the info. Once I can sex them I might try to breed a pair and see what happens.

I have actinic T5's on one tank and RGB LED lights on another. So far I find the royal blue LED lights to work the best at causing these fish to fluoresce. Any blue LED will work but I like the Cree Royal Blue the best.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down