VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AquaClear 50 BioMax vs. Fluval C3 Powerfilter

4 posters

Go down

AquaClear 50 BioMax vs. Fluval C3 Powerfilter Empty AquaClear 50 BioMax vs. Fluval C3 Powerfilter

Post  COCOBIRD Tue May 28, 2013 12:17 am

I was debating between these two filters the other week and decided to order both. They're both made by the same company, both the same price, right about 30$ off of Amazon Prime. Very similar in shape, the Aquaclear is thinner and has a bottom up style that reminds me of a Rena canister filter. It comes with foam, charcoal, and media -- a mini basket type of idea. The Fluval is a bit snazzier and looks cooler. The main foam sits vertically in the back, carbon in some kind of basket in front of it (same carbon in both boxes) and then the media is in a odd basket on top.

Anyway - I like the Fluval C3 Powerfilter, not only because I like red, but the media compartment is better.

The AquaClear impeller pooped out on me after a few days. I'm sure this is luck of the draw as I'm sure they're the same piece in both filters. I tried fixing it a few times but then remembered that I bought new, so Amazon will have a new filter on my doorstep tomorrow and I'll ship this other one back for free. nbd.

I do like how thin the AquaClear is, and I know it's a popular model, but the Fluval C3 Powerfilter just had an extra kick for me. I'm considering getting the larger model for a replacement HOB for my 75 gal.

I can easily take pics if anyone else is trying to decide between these two. I looked at these two as I'm trying to get the quietest filters possibly available for my room, and on that front, they're both borderline silent.
COCOBIRD
COCOBIRD

Back to top Go down

AquaClear 50 BioMax vs. Fluval C3 Powerfilter Empty Re: AquaClear 50 BioMax vs. Fluval C3 Powerfilter

Post  neogeo20041 Tue May 28, 2013 1:56 am

I like aqua clear for hobs and ehiem and fluval for canister. That is just my opinion though. Depends on what you need honestly.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

AquaClear 50 BioMax vs. Fluval C3 Powerfilter Empty Re: AquaClear 50 BioMax vs. Fluval C3 Powerfilter

Post  Paul1792 Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Nice job reviewing the the C3.  I have one on my 29 gallon tank and will make three observations:

1) To anyone who is going to order one (they cost about half online what they do at the "big box" pet stores):
a) order it with the extension tube (it comes from the factory with only about 9" of uptake tube which is aburd .... then on the parts list they show the optional extension tube.)  
b) Order it with the Fluval sponge pre-filter
c) Do not order extra carbon.  The carbon is unnecessary after two weeks ... except to remove medidations and certain tannins.
d) Order Seachem Purigen as a replacement for the carbon.

2) There is something wrong the the design or manufacturing process with impellers for both C series fluvals and aquaclears.  A significant percent start out with a HORRIBLE (at least mine was) rattling noise.  There are you tube videos on the "Vaseline fix" ...... I emailed Fluval ... they told me to put cooking oil in the impeller rather than just sending me a replacement.  After reading about others' problems ..... I just went ahead and ordered one for $7 on amazon.com.  Just not worth the hassle to argue with them.

3) You really need to love the sound of water splashing to enjoy this thing.  If it sounds annoying, the only way to deal with it is to set it on "slow flow" and fill your aquarium up almost to the brim of the tank.

That being said ...... the filter gives great results.  

So ..... on my 38 gallon with a "customized" aqua-tech 30-60 (330 GPH) which I plan to replace soon,  Since I only have 3 & 3/4 inches from the aquarium to the wall, a fluval C4 is out since it takes 4 inches+.   Will an aquaclear 70 fit ???  I cannot find the dimensions anywhere.  You note that the C3 is thinner than the aquaclear 50 ....... I wonder if the same holds true for AC50 vs C4.

I may use a C3 and penguin two filter setup since I have the room.  I like the extra filter insert in the Penguin which I read about elsewhere in this forum  Can anyone tell me if the Penguin allows for "personalized media" in a friendly way ..... or is it a pain to do?

Thanks

Paul1792

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:11 pm

Great input Paul!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down