VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Specialname's Fish

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Specialname's Fish  Empty Specialname's Fish

Post  Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 pm

I currently run a 75, tank is 20 years old, no idea about the stand. Bought for $200 couple years ago with no lights and a broken glass tops. It sat in storage for 3 years, been up and running for over a year now. I bartered my dog cage for a hood, only missing hinges and handles, but good enough. I have 1 filter, probably need a 2nd. I started with goldfish, yes well um, rehomed. Was a very gross experience, pond water for sure headed to be like sewer.

I had started basic, angels, betta(rip), glofish, neons, mollies, catfish, and a dragonfish. Currently resides 2 angelfish, 5 mollies, 4 black neons, 5 red and blue neons, 1 platy, several guppy, 3 cory cat, and my dragonfish.And I am moving and will tear the tank down by April 2014 to move to Colorado. Taking only the mollies and dragon with. I do not feel the rest can tolerate a cooler move, but really unsure if I will take any. I am not buying anymore fish, or plants not fair to them. I have just given away about 30 mollies, babies of course. My female mollies grow rather large, over 4 inches. Nothing special given. No more breeding if I can help it, so the guppies gotta go. Hopefully soon, need to grow some more.

For now, I feed and enjoy my undersea world, til I have to start again. So begins the count down to the move VA to CO.

Back to top Go down

Specialname's Fish  Empty Re: Specialname's Fish

Post  williemcd Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:56 am

Good luck moving forward!.. Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 am

Thank you, I am looking forward to the move, always nice to leave drama neighbors behind. Spent my birthday sick, so next is to do a water change this week. Just might this morning. Fish are doing good, guppies getting bigger. They have learned to move when the angels come, I need to let them go soon, way to aggressive now to keep. 1 day I say. The feelers I guess are so long on the male. Husband thinks he is ugly, but he is thought to be a blusher. I need to take updated pictures. I find it hard to rehome the fish, Almost a year I have had most of them. 2 years running in October.

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:04 pm

Let me know if you do decide to take your fish with you. I can get you a large styrofoam cooler used for shipping fish.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 pm

Thank You, Wasn't sure really what to use, just know it needs to stay warm. Was looking at heaters as well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 am

So I guess with rehoming fish comes stress. I guess the last trio of adult female mollies with held there kids. One has had a older severely squashed kid, he streamlined. I caught him/her up, I do not think there will be much of a life for it. In the breeder trap, hopefully it can unfold. I had hoped for no more breeding, that way I have less to let go of. Was a sick guppy. It died.

This week 4 fish and the moss ball leave, also must get filters today. With a water change done, I can clean my filter see what the noise is. Dragonfish is so big, I need to measure hm again. Easily 14 inches, last measured at.

Last edited by Specialname on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:53 pm

I decided to post back on here, I will no longer rehome my fish to anyone on here. When someone goes out of there way to deliver fish, 1 has to assume it is a forever home. Sucks when you find out it is not, and they are passed to another. I have had most my fish over a year.

Most my mollies and guppies have died from a weird uterine infection, no uterus stuff hanging out but appears to be flesh of the inner cavity, no answers to what it is or they just passed due to bad genes or old age. I did try meds, but with no small hospital tank, really hard to quarantine. So hard to know what is going on, water parameters are great, filters changed often, water change each week. Some food I used (wardleys) set off the mollies, got constipated. Guppies I am unable to keep, after all this I have 1 guppy left. 1 molly left, it had started pooping, now has stopped again. I just keeping the tank clean, and wait and see who hangs in there til time to move.

The disease seems to only go after live bearers, no problems with the dragon, or cories.

Still in the tank: 1 guppy, 1 molly, 3 cories, 3 red/blue neons, 4 black neons, 1 dragon. I am not adding any fish.........Just ready to move, start over. I am going to pick up another 75 gal soon. Hoping to just set up a bigger tank than 75 for the dragon. Just not sure if I want to travel with him yet.

So I think a 75 could be a hospital tank later on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:32 am

Woke up to my last molly dead, she just started looking rough again, probably just old age. RIP ~ She was the last of my giant babies. I never did anything any different,but they grew huge to about 6 inches. Tank looks so empty, but no more fish. If the rest make it til January we will see.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:04 am

My dad has set up a 150 gal tank, lost his goldfish. Had that fish for a few years, and yesterday he bought some fish w a 5 gal tank. He acquired some of his own dalmation mollies. Says they are orange. 1 day I will get to see what they are. Inside are 2 huge pleco, kind and size you'd find in a zoo. Wonder how big they will grow now....

Back to top Go down

Post  verbal Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:28 pm

Specialname wrote:My dad has set up a 150 gal tank, lost his goldfish. Had that fish for a few years, and yesterday he bought some fish w a 5 gal tank. He acquired some of his own dalmation mollies. Says they are orange. 1 day I will get to see what they are.
They might be "Gold dust" mollies.

Specialname wrote:
Inside are 2 huge pleco, kind and size you'd find in a zoo. Wonder how big they will grow now....
A lot of the "Common Plecos"(and Sailfin plecos) will get over 18 inches if given enough space. Of course there are also options which stay much more reasonable.

verbal

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Just common pleco, well over 2 feet long. I will see them March when I go up there. I need to have my brother text me a picture.

And I lost the last guppy, no more live bearers left. I can only hope that tossing the gravel and starting new will help.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:59 am

Well I kept telling myself, need to clean the tank today. I thought yesterday I seen something move. And Today I did, proud Grandma of some baby emerald green cories. Never had any breed before, so neat to see them. They look about 1/4 inch or less. Nothing in there to et them unless they swim into the dragons mouth. I cannot see them doing that.

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am

Congrats on the Cory's! I've never been able to get them to spawn. How many fry do you have? I'd be interested in some if you've a supply! bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:47 pm

I counted 11 if the hold still. There are more, I have only dealt with livebearers. really a first with any egg layers, I see her lay almost 2 times a month. I never looked to see if they make it cause they are everywhere. Some still look wiggler stage. Some are more defined. I wondered why I was missing algae, lol.

I did nothing new or special, just clean filters, water changes. I feed cichlid sinking balls for the dragon, flakes for the top swimmers. Algae wafers, I do toss them in, and sometimes dried bloodworms. I am going to look for a small tank, I hope I can move them eventually. Bill I will see what comes of them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Well anyone close has a tank, hood, light, filter. Message here, I turned pm off.

What size of tank would you grow the catfish in, I think 5 is to small. Thought 10 bare bottom or even 20.

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:29 pm

I could prob. set ya up with a 10g complete.. but.. 1. Haven't a clue what you consider close and 2. I tried to contact you via PM and was wondering why the "off-switch"... Were you being blasted by pm's or something?

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Nope, just chose to, I am in Fort Lee, VA way south of you.  I am looking at all the tanks in the area, I might just buy a new tank and put it in the garage. Good ol tropical heat in there.

Last edited by Specialname on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left out word)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:19 pm

Hard to tell people no on a 55 gal w stand for 400, I have no use for large tanks. Just a small, on my way though. Got some money set aside for one now.

Babies are looking good.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:46 pm

I have counted twice today, first count 13, second about 19 or 20. I guess I really do have a handful of kids here. One is brave and good sized, swims the front wall almost to the top. I did turn pm's back on only to be able negotiate homes for them. If you are not a long term home, do not ask.

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Long term and full time avail here.. No adoptions out! Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:10 pm

So many babies, funny to see them wiggle around busily eating in the tank. More of them are swimming the wall.

I do not think I will set another tank up, so I will get me a travel tank for the babies and take some up to my dad.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Well kiddos are reaching a good size, some are easily half inch. Time to look for homes.

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:02 pm

I think I'm first in line right? LOL

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:00 pm

lol You are the only one.

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am

your freaking kidding!.. Well.. summertime is the worst time for fish-keepers and their engagement in fish clubs. Too many vacations, graduations, moves etc. going on. It's the worst time to sell equipment, possibly the best time to buy....if anyone is motivated enough to even post! Well.. I'll be looking forward to some new Cory's!.. I've only 2 at the time between 450G of tanks.. .Tks again.. Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next