VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Blue 4-5" Discus Need a Home!!

+2
kat12
CalebNmomLuvFish
6 posters

Go down

2 Blue 4-5" Discus Need a Home!! Empty 2 Blue 4-5" Discus Need a Home!!

Post  CalebNmomLuvFish Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:52 pm

Hello fellow members!! There's a nice lady named Rachel who has posted on Craigslist looking for a good home for 2 of her sub-adult blue discus that are being picked on by the dominant male in her school of Discus. She is asking $30 each for them. She lives in Madison Heights. I have communicated with her via email and told her about our group and what a great bunch of fish lovers we have here, so please don't make me regret that you guys...lol
I know that she is looking for someone who is already an experienced Discus keeper and that she is a devoted "mom" to these fish. She is hoping to find someone who will love them as she does and can give them a home they will thrive in and not get the stuffing beat out of them daily as they are now!!
Please drop me a line if you intend to contact her about them as I put the group out there as a whole and I would like to see a happy ending come to pass in this situation and perhaps a new group member to boot!
I have spoken highly of all our fish lovers here and I'm sure that you Discus keepers will find this lady a caring and intelligent lady who knows her stuff. This isn't one for newbies like me...as much as I'd love to have some Discus, it's an undertaking I don't feel my son & I are prepared for quite yet..but it's definitely on our bucket list!  Razz 
It pulls up under Richmond Craigslist for me, but I believe it is also listed on Lynchburg site. I am gonna try to post a link for you..any trouble getting in touch with her, just let me know.
Thanks & God Bless!
 Arrow  http://lynchburg.craigslist.org/pet/4337297882.html
CalebNmomLuvFish
CalebNmomLuvFish

Back to top Go down

2 Blue 4-5" Discus Need a Home!! Empty Re: 2 Blue 4-5" Discus Need a Home!!

Post  kat12 Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Looking up prices of discuses, that's a sale, not a small rehoming fee. Did you let her know Bill runs a fish rescue and tries to find homes for unwanted fish?

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:48 am

Kat, "Bill" doesn't run a fish rescue, the whole group/club does.  It's hoped that all of us come to the aid of an unwanted fish and to undertake the effort to find it/them a new home.  First dibs of course, goes to the rescuer if it's an altruistic effort rather than an opportunity for self-profit.. Next up are the general membership and finally we'll (whoever has tank space avail) host it till we find a home for it.

Admin
Admin

https://vafa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:24 pm

From just looking at the rescue thread I don't think two members make a whole club/group. I don't have any problem with rescues but currently it seems to be a vision from only one member.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Neo... it's a call out for all members to be on the lookout for unwanted fish.  I think ALL members would rather see a rescue effort rather than hearing the flush of a fish.  Some of the rescues  have gone to inner-city elementary schools, I'm pretty sure some went to a Veterans Affairs site.  It's part of giving back to the community and the hobby...I do know that a number of members have benefited from the rescues that we've managed. I have been privately contacted a number of times from both members and C/L respondents of the requirement to rescue.  It's hoped that getting others involved will cut down on the travel expense by offering to volunteer pick-ups if not hosting.  
Additionally, this rescue operation also promotes the club and brings attention to our efforts as fish keepers and perhaps some education to other on the hobby.   That is one of the core tenets of the founding of this forum.  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:59 pm

I'm not as active in rescueing fish as Bill. My passive method is to direct people to this forum to advertise and get more people aware of a fish in need of a new home. If it's something that can get along with my fish I'll take it but haven't had many people get back with me to arrange a time to meet up. Like the recent pacu. I met the family a week or two ago and told them about the rescue section here and they soon posted a thread about it. I hope they find a new home for it I just don't have enough tanks to take in every fish. At Petco we take in fish all the time and adopt them out quickly. I find that more people are comfortable with dropping them off rather than meeting with strangers off Craigslist. After speaking with them, I ensure that at my location we will make every effort to rehome them to an appropriate tank and not sell them. We do ask for a donation to a local rescue group. This ensures that the fish is not mistreated. Free fish are usually not treated with the same value that paid fish receive. I feel that anyone who views the rescue section is contributing to the rescue of fish. You never know when someone will see a fish that they can care for or know someone who can. I encourage everyone to help out in their own way. Some members are more active and public about their efforts than others.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Well stated Amp... Oddly enough, the lady with the two Discus is quite a trek away... but her husband was supposed to visit Richmond today as part of his job and was going to cart them from Lynchburg to the Richmond area.. But,,,, as is the case of so many C/L deals, the deal apparently has fallen through... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:26 pm

I'm just wanted to know if we were all board on this or not Smile.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:25 am

I would love to have some discus but I'm not paying near retail price.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:03 am

Personal experience tells me that every cent you spend on discus is totally worth it Smile.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down