VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should we have our own club fish?

+4
verbal
Doxiemom
neogeo20041
Amp2020
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Should we have our own club fish? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have our own club fish?

Post  neogeo20041 Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:19 am

All the stuff about genetics is out there I already know but not everyone will go out of there way to go read unless they were a nerd like me. You only mentioned the few source that got most of their stuff from Dr. Joanne Norton article about angelfish breeding. There is also more new mutation coming out every year and no one has complied all the new stuff into one that is easier to understand. The new blue gene (pb) is work of Mr. Ken; where he saw the potential of the platinum angelfish and made new type of angelfish like the pinoy for example. The Bulgarian seal point(Bsp) angelfish is still under development and not much is known about them. Raiko is the breeder and he is doing a fine job of keeping a record of his crosses so that we can understand the heredity of this new mutation. I know the information is out there but I want to use this forum to keep a record of what I have learned through searching forums and my own little experiments. Also giving proper credit to those that actually took their time to share their knowledge.

Edit- Don't forget I'm a biology student....I might know not seem like it but I know a few things...I just don't write very good but learning to get better Smile.

neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Should we have our own club fish? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we have our own club fish?

Post  williemcd Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:56 am

I defer to you then my friend.... I'm just an old retired geek/businessman.. Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  IRAligon Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:38 pm

I will help anyway I can. not guppies to much work.

IRAligon

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Just got my hands on some guppies and trying to understand their genetics. From what I see its a lot more complicated then angels. I'm slowly finishing up angelfish genetics article before I go much deeper into guppy genetics.

Last edited by neogeo20041 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:31 pm

LOL...Seems we are having a horrible time staying on topic here. Did anyone ever agree on a fish type? I think the goal was a collective rearing effort, to start. Then a selective breeding effort based on the opinions of those that have knowledge of conformation of said species. Genetic findings on guppies may warrant another thread.
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Unbelievably, I just got off the phone with Ira not 2 minutes ago where the topic of breeding Guppies came up. According to Ira... (as stated in his post) they can be one of the harder selective breeding fish to concentrate on! It seems, as soon as possible after birth, they need to be separated by gender in order to: 1. Ensure you will be dealing with virgin females and 2. To eliminate a distraction with the the males regarding the opposite sex allowing them to grow bigger and develop more impressive fin-age versus chasing "skirt". Since it's near to impossible to ID by gender till their pretty much of breeding age, your almost required to provide a single container per fry! Plus an exhaustive water change regime... He went on and on as he's most capable of doing but I can only absorb so much information at one time!
Yep Dox... as an Admin/Mod, ya need to set up a new thread! Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Why don't we vote on fish we have kept and have experience keeping them??? That will give us an idea of our knowledge. I think only then it would be better to pick a type to rear.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Neo... Ira just dropped in and we were discussing your post regarding plecos...It's his suggestion that you keep your eyes out for some L-046's (Zebra pleco's) and you'll have a worthwhile specie to breed! Or possibly L-025's, L-183's!!!!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2