VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water change!

+3
Amp2020
williemcd
neogeo20041
7 posters

Go down

Water change! Empty Water change!

Post  neogeo20041 Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Anyone know the reason of water changes every week?? I just want to know how much we really know. As I'm venturing more and more into breeding. I'm learning the importance of good water quality. There is a difference in keeping something and making it thrive.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Water change! Empty Re: Water change!

Post  williemcd Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:59 pm

I'd suggest this be moved to the Dumb Question category... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:56 am

TDS. The total dissolved solid levels build up and water changes dilute them. Even if ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphates are zero, there's still other things that build up with time that simple test kits can't read.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:10 am

Vic.. ya got a few hours and time to take notes?... This article seems to be taking both sides of the story regarding TDS's.... 
My 2 cents?  W/C's are primarily for removal of Nitrates, solid wastes (Plant and fish) and replenishment of trace elements.  But the article confuses me or maybe rebutt's my experience with GBR's/Bolivian's...
http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3480
Bill

P.S.   Warning:  the article gets deep into the weeds.

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:41 am

Probably a better article about TDS's  http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/member-submitted-articles/total-solids-tss-tds-freshwater-aquarium-122027/
Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  ciscosdad Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Water changes can also trigger breeding in some fish by mimicking the rainy season. A rush of fresh water is like a sudden rainstorm. dilutes TDS, lowers the temperature slightly, and alters the water chemistry.
ciscosdad
ciscosdad

Back to top Go down

Post  verbal Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:02 am

I don't know that every week is really a requirement, although I definitely do it when I am trying to get something to grow or breed.

I think where water changes pay off is when you do big ones. The thing that happens with 10 to 20% water changes is they don't really make a dent in the waste build up - Nitrates etc. My water changes tend to be every 10 to 15 days, but they also tend to be large - 50 to 60%.

Although if I was doing more sensitive species I might do them smaller and more frequently. Also with planted tanks, Nitrate removal might be taken care of by the plants, so the smaller amount more frequently might be a good practice.

verbal

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:15 pm

I tell people to do 25%-30% water changes and in cases of an emergency to do 50%. This is good advice for new fish keepers who are likely to do something wrong. The smaller water changes allow greater room for error. As an experienced aquarist I usually do 50% changes monthly as a minimum. Sometimes more often if I'm concerned about something.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:05 pm

I tell others to do at least 25% a week. I personly like doing 50% especially on a planted tank. The trace elements that are in my water seem to make my plant thrive. Also noticed after every major water change fish seem a lot more active.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:41 pm

why is this dumb question? This is a VERY important part of aquarium keeping and very much on topic and relevant to everyone in the hobby.

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Kat, the whole reason this category is here is for questions that folks should know the answer to but possibly don't!  It goes along with the old saying:
“The only stupid question is the question that is never asked.”
It is intended as a means for those that might be embarrassed to pose a question to submit it here!  These questions can be copied from any source...i.e. other groups, web-sites etc. 

It is also intended to promote debate and suggestions for best practices.  

Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  IRAligon Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:13 am

Some fish can last a long time without a water change Years ago when i first startediiiiiiused to do water changes once a year 100%

IRAligon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down