VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oscar section would be nice

+2
Amp2020
chiclidlover
6 posters

Go down

oscar section would be nice  Empty oscar section would be nice

Post  chiclidlover Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Oscar section would be nice even though there cichlids there in a class of there own.
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

oscar section would be nice  Empty Re: oscar section would be nice

Post  Amp2020 Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:11 am

Get ten members to post on this thread who also suggest giving oscars their own section and we can talk about it. I'm not aware of too many oscar keepers or even members who keep large fish. I'm sure I'm wrong but they haven't made themselves heard yet.

Making suggestions is perfectly fine and encouraged but there needs to be a demand to warrant the change. So all in favor please speak up.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:54 pm

While I don't keep Oscars, we have eliminated the salt section, we do have Angel and Discus categories.. .So he now has 2 votes for an Oscar entry.  It can always be re-threaded into the Cichlid forum if there isn't enough activity to rationalize its own entry.  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:46 pm

I like specialized forum so you have my vote too Smile.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  verbal Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:43 pm

I think there are already at least enough sections/subsections.

verbal

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:53 pm

Jess/Verb.. I'm with ya but.... there is some background info that influences the thought process.  We are just over one year old (Dec. 29, 2012) and still sorting out our identity.  There is one faction that would like to target this forum to specie specific categories.  My hopes were to make it a reference site but that requires a ton of work and massive input from EVERYONE... So.. it'll sort out based upon posts to the various categories.  As noted, we just eliminated the Salt Section of the site.. and should consolidate the 3 catfish sub-cats to a single... 
The basis for a category for every interest is tempting in the recruitment process.... but only if there is activity within it that would encourage a visitor to join and participate.  Otherwise we look like we're trying to be everything to everybody.... with no substance behind it.  
but... your vote is noted and carries as much weight as anyone elses... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  chiclidlover Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks amp. I submit my vote like any good debate I will state my reason besides signaling out the breed for discussion I wanted to point out the facts many fish keepers start out with oscars but have no real forum to turn to because of there nature of being solitary an aggressive theve gotten a bad rep just like the pitbull. with out some good advice from a family member an fellow fish keeper on here ,i wouldve returned them for something i really wouldve not like as much as watching these four grow an interact with the kids. Just imagine Some are flushed are left to die because there misunderstood an the keeper has no true forum to talk about there problems with out hearing the get rid of those fish there not worth the hassle. I understand every team has a mascot but not all the players aren't the same . Just as I searched for knowledge about my first batch of African cichlids the search engine took me to vafafishforum richmonds fish forum of all fish types. There could as well be others looking for forums to learn share there knowledge of oscars an tank mates, breeding techniques an so forth. I just wanted to point the good in it I also understand that a thread for one person is a waste of space. If not just for one breed of fish lets make a large fish thread for large fish handlers that would include all large fish. Lets face it a search engine found the forum by me searching African cichlid forum in richmond va. If you don't build it they won't come. If all fails I'm satified using fresh water thread just throwing out a suggestion an reason for asking . That's three votes seven more to go :-)
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Ok.. another piece of my mind... as you'll note... it's getting tinier and tinier!  
Amp.. to ask for 10 members to chime in is a bit unreasonable in my opinion.  While we number over 60 members, we average about 11 or 12 per 48 hrs logging in, let alone POSTING... Take heart all... we exceed other clubs by a factor of at least 3 times to up to 10 times the participation rate.
How about if 2/3'rd of the Admins come to a consensus?

Additionally, I swear Cichlidlove read my mind (again, a quick read) in that he posted about Pitbulls which was going to be referenced here!  

Those that keep either Oscars or Pit's are ardent supporters of their choices.  I too at one time kept Oscars, as well as other large specie fishes but in my old age, I'd rather get more fish per tank ... BUT, in support of Oscars and other solo or small group fishes, they do share their personalities or at least we have the opportunity to observe them due to fewer numbers.... It is cool hand feeding those big boys/girls.. It is interesting watching their bonding process with the keeper... If they just didn't POOP so much!
Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  chiclidlover Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks bill they do poop I vac every morning before feeding them. I've taken to the breed I quess Steve Corwin was right you don't pick your pet you pick your companion lol. Amp gave a goal that was fair, just wanted to appeal there breed maybe post some good about them an bad also. They're Semper Fidelis approved ;-) hoo rahh. Who knows maybe rescue some from the porcelain funnel to h e double hockey sticks. Oh yeah bill I introduce an albino tiger half there size an the males have been training he/she to come to the front when I come in the room they actually let the albino eat first. Got it from a customer who was going to flush it cause it ate her guppies.
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Here's a compromise... For every Category we add, we eliminate one... We've recently added two sub-cats: Angel Articles and under Photography... each has one post over a month old... Pick one to replace with Oscars! Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  IRAligon Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:22 pm

well nobody keeps aferican cats I do not like vidos

IRAligon

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:27 pm

We were planning to discus about adding and deleting sub forums in the February meeting.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:36 pm

We were?... Has anyone drafted an Agenda for the meeting?  It is only a week away!.. Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  IRAligon Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:47 pm

That would be fine in a south american chilid section.

IRAligon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down