VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fresh water from the river

2 posters

Go down

Fresh water from the river Empty Fresh water from the river

Post  chiclidlover Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:05 am

Was talking with my uncle whom had fish since I was young.Me being a country boy I've always keep dogs an baby deer .. To train the dogs of course ..he told me they went to fresh water streams an collected large amounts of fresh water an filtered it threw a tank for a day are too an used that instead of tap are well water. I remembered carrying buckets up stairs but never new his trick he had oscars an angel fish. Separated of course. They lived until I went to college an know he's doing the same thing with his new batch of oscars in a hundred gallon tank made from plexi glass an old stainless Steel from grannies moonshine still he even used the squirrel as a bubble wall lol. Has anybody ever tried this before ? I know water toxients vary from state to state. An he uses no carbon he said that's lazy change your water lazy bum lol I call him the wizard he's 72 with a gray beard.
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Fresh water from the river Empty Re: Fresh water from the river

Post  Amp2020 Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:56 am

If the water is clean then there's no reason it wouldn't work. But there's always that risk of possible toxins or parasites. For small fish and shrimp, getting a few hydras can decimate your livestock. There's possibility of getting ich in stagnant or slow flowing streams with pollution. The toxins cause the fish to become weak and easily susceptible to ich. Depending on the local rocks, the pH could be very low or high, or be very hard or soft water. If I was raising bait or feeder fish, then I would use the local water and take the risk. But for my nicer fish I'd never risk it.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chiclidlover Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:04 am

Yeah I was reading up in the dangers an the pros of adding even a cup of stream water. Thanks amp . Just wanted see if anybody tried it before.Really trying to learn. Without killing my fish ive gotten attach to the fin smacking head bobbing kissing the glass morning feeding routine.
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down