VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some plants for my chiclids

5 posters

Go down

Need some plants for my chiclids  Empty Need some plants for my chiclids

Post  chiclidlover Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:42 am

Hello just starting a new tank looking for some plants for them..I have a tall 29 gallon with 4 African chiclids four tiger barbs an three albino algae eaters..I'm a novice willing to learn as much as I can ..it's really for my twins boys my son my granny( lil girl)an my little lady ...
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Need some plants for my chiclids  Empty Re: Need some plants for my chiclids

Post  williemcd Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:39 am

Not too many African Cichlids will leave live plants alone... You'll just be offering up a tasty salad for them. There are a few african's such as Kribs that would co-exist with them.. .
I just gave a boat load of plastic plants away but might have a stash laying around here ...somewhere... I'll check in the daylight hours... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  chiclidlover Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks bill.I really appreciate the knowledge I'm not picky any kind of plants will do..
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:16 pm

I know Anubis works with cichlids.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chiclidlover Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks neogeo for the tip.just did a water change think ill head up to skoolz check out there store.. heard it was excellent .. plus maybe I could get some ideas
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Yah! Rama has decent plant selection Smile. I might head there today Razz
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:19 pm

Cich.. you'll need to let us know what variety of African's your keeping! Their specific water hardness requirements, temps etc. will influence the plant selections if you go that route. Another factor with bigger cichlids is that they will tend to do their own landscaping.. meaning, digging up the plants and arranging them to THEIR liking.. .That factor is one of the reasons I gave up on Africans as I love the look of a planted tank and they just weren't that compatible.. Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Bill is right here. If you want a planted tank you might have to switch to the green side..or find something that is compatible with plants. I know dwarf cichlids are usually compatible with plants.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Need some plants for my chiclids  Empty why me lord why my fish take the neighbors trash toteing dog

Post  chiclidlover Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:02 am

Thanks guys ... just got off from work an my neighborhood was out of power since three pm an in result all my fish died even my algae eaters..all my kids in tears even me ..drunk dver hit out main comm
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  verbal Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:05 pm

chiclidlover wrote:Thanks guys ...  just got off from work an my neighborhood was out of power since three pm an in result all my fish died even my algae eaters..all my kids in tears even me ..drunk dver hit out main comm

Sorry to hear about your fish losses.

29 is a little on the small size for Malawi cichlids. It is a great tank for a a pair of kribs(it will eventually lead to a group of kribs) or some of the smaller calmer Tanganikan cichlids. If you really want Malawi cichids, you could start growing out the in the 29 and move/upgrade to a 40 breeeder and have a lot more options.

verbal

Back to top Go down

Post  verbal Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:07 pm

In terms of plants, something like kribs will work with most plants.

Anubias and Java Fern will work with most cichlids. They attach to rocks, driftwood rather than having true roots, so they won't get dug up.

verbal

Back to top Go down

Need some plants for my chiclids  Empty Thanks verb order a hundred gallon from amazon

Post  chiclidlover Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks verb yeah luckily The manager at petsmart. Had a heart he gave me Four tiger Oscars The large ...plus a battery pack .. I'm always open to learn you guys thanks
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:11 am

chiclidlover wrote:Thanks verb yeah luckily The manager at petsmart. Had a heart he gave me Four tiger Oscars The large ...plus a battery pack .. I'm always open to learn you guys thanks

Where are you getting your fish from? You may want to take back the oscars and tell the manager that they made a terrible suggestion for a 29 gallon. Unless you have a 75 gallon tank or larger with a filtration system that's capable of filtering 400 gallon tank, your better off returning those fish. Even a 55 gallon tank is too small for two oscars.

A battery powered pump does no good unless there's someone there to turn it on. Return the pump and buy a Penn Plax Silent Air B11. When the power goes out it automatically kicks on and will save your fish.

The original selection of cichlids, barbs, and algae eaters in a 29 gallon tank was very questionable. Not considered compatible and the tank size was way too small for the cichlids unless you have a larger tank to move them into.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Need some plants for my chiclids  Empty thanks amp for the info

Post  chiclidlover Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks amp I've order a bigger tank. The back up battery ba.. ck has a vmeter mainly used as PC back up so I tested it it kicked on everything ill still check on the filter you suggested but for for know free was a great option thanks Guy for all the info cause with your knowledge I can learn an pass on to my kids an friends. Thanks bill,verb,amp,an the rest of the vafa family
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:17 pm

I know loosing fish can be very de motivating but oscars do get very big very fast. They are also very easy to keep. I just wanted to let you know what you are getting yourself into. If you need fish just open a thread and I'm sure someone here has enough fish to get you into tropical fish.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chiclidlover Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:55 am

Loving these guys they sleep together swing in unison. Spit rocks at the glass when the kids walk by. There really amazing ..
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:56 am

it's a trip watching em bond!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down