VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A VERY AWKWARD POST for ALL to READ!!

3 posters

Go down

A VERY AWKWARD POST for ALL to READ!! Empty A VERY AWKWARD POST for ALL to READ!!

Post  Doxiemom Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:25 am

One would hope that buying fish from another forum member would ensure healthy, well reared fish. Sadly, this is NOT the case. I have been getting complaints via private messages, phone calls and emails regarding sick fish. Not just from members of this forum...but from folks I'm personally involved with in the hobby. These people are seeking my help in trying to remedy issues that are ALL THE SAME!!! And...in my research...the fish are coming from the same source!!!! The reason for this post is to ask that ANYONE selling fish PLEASE BE SURE you are offering disease free fish. It is costing people TONS of money to treat the ill fish that are being sold.
I am not one to throw anyone "under the bus"....but more than that...I'm not one to see people get lied to and "taken" for the sake of a dollar!!
I DO APOLOGIZE for the negativity....I'm normally a very upbeat, positive person!!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

A VERY AWKWARD POST for ALL to READ!! Empty Re: A VERY AWKWARD POST for ALL to READ!!

Post  williemcd Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:57 pm

Dox... I'm positive of how reluctant you were to post this message BUT....Consider it a "Public Service Announcement"...or PSA for short.  
Perhaps this is one of the reasons I've not yet gone into offering much for sale outside of hardware.  My fish-room isn't set up to be conducive to a breeding operation, I've not enough grow-out space, I've not the set-up for cultivating the initial live food for the fry and nor do I currently have the plumbing and power supply issues resolved.  By this summer though......Watch out lady!  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

A VERY AWKWARD POST for ALL to READ!! Empty Re: A VERY AWKWARD POST for ALL to READ!!

Post  Doxiemom Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Yes, Bill...it was a very tough choice to decide to post this. It was done more as a voice for those that are or have been dealing with the aftermath. I hope it is taken to heart by anyone thinking of selling stock. Ones reputation is all they have. Once tainted by bad word of mouth, anyone can pretty much forget being considered a reputable, top notch breeder/seller!!
I'm sure once your fish room is the way you want it....you'll have plenty of great, healthy fish to offer!! Can't wait!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:35 am

Yea.. Dox. .. I've debated time after time with myself.. .BUT.. concluded that every member on this forum or any other forum that doesn't call out a breeder that represents themselves as a member of the respective group you belong to, reflects on the husbandry/skills/concerns of all the members of their concerns and commitment for the hobby.....and what we have for our "Charges" as well as the reputations of their co-members... Nuff said from this quarter on this topic.  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  kat12 Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:54 pm

Feel the need to slightly extend the PSA.   (I type too much, read the blue for the short version!)

Responsibility on both sides of any transaction need to be responsible.   I've canceled or postponed sales/trades in the past be it due to weather concerns me for mailing, or something in the tank/with the fish just seems OFF to me etc.   And it is important to be honest about such things.   I'd much rather tell someone the reason (a fish or 2 in the tank died, I want to keep an eye on them and make sure there isn't a problem, I was an idiot and got a new fish and am treating my tank for ich - WHATEVER THE REASON!   It can be embarrassing, but it's HONEST which goes a lot further than giving/sending others subpar fish etc) I've gained more respect and people coming back asking if they can get more fish etc by being honest than I ever would have by trying to make a quick buck (Have had my facebook stores for....   on and off about 8 to 9 years now.   I BURNED MY REPUTATION IN THE GROUND in the first year or 2 due to sending out a sub standard item (though disclosed) and then when the customer contacted me with issues with it I basically told them to pound sand and they knew what they were getting (had gotten pictures etc)  I have worked long and hard to build back my reputation, a lot of give away items, a lot of photos of quality items, as well as have learned to say NO if someone wants something I'm not sure if I can pull off.   Sure, I lose some sales, but the loyal customers I have makes up for that and if I ever did something like I did in the beginning again I'd have a hard time recovering twice.   (Long story, but applies)

Second side of the responsibility!

With any transaction - be it an online sale, a local trade/purcase, or a local store - We live in a buyer beware world.   Even if the person you are obtaining from is up front and honest with you - no issues in their tank, all fish doing well, heck - lets you test their water themselves - sometimes things still happen!   It is best to quarantine anything new you get or you are taking the risk with your existent stock.  

kat12

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:00 pm

Great post Kat... To paraphrase what you stated:  "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently"  Warren Buffett... When I finally do get into breeding operations, I'll take my cue from you!  Bill 

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down