VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

running out of filters or just tired of buying the expensive filter pads that dont last

3 posters

Go down

running out of filters or just tired of buying the expensive  filter pads that dont last  Empty running out of filters or just tired of buying the expensive filter pads that dont last

Post  chiclidlover Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 am

It is already an exspensive hobby but adding in constant maintenace it becomes a royal pain in the left rear pocket. Well maybe this will help
head to your nearest dollar tree for supplies they have what you need
2 packs of plastic sponges/ also known as plastic pot scrubbers /
1 pack of six yellow an green sponges made by buddies
1 pack of all green sponge pads made by buddies
1 pack of nylon stocking preferred white colored
once you have gotten home with your products first take one of the sponges an measure your filter pad it would be easier to disconnect the filter from the power source
Do not cut or rinse the old filter you will need that bacteria
place the sponge an filter in a flat bowl with tank water with the sponge on the bottom
Next if you have activated carbon rinse off real good
remove stocking tie one end spoon in a half of cup tie stocking off
cut remaining for use again repeat steps for second filter
After 5 mins of letting the sponge soak up as much bacteria as it can place the sponge
in first next place the plastic scrubbers in real snug
place the carbon on top of the scrubber's
Take the green thin sponge an place it where The black Bio sponge would be
If your using ammonia remover or ammonia an carbon premix place them on top of one row of plastic scrubbers then place the last row on top.
Your stubbies can be rinsed an reused they'll catch big particules while the sponges will capture
The rest of debris. If you don't have carbon activate Walmart or PETCO has the cheapest by volume
ammonia remover by fluval runs about five dollars at PETCO or petsmart
In total you'll spend a
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

running out of filters or just tired of buying the expensive  filter pads that dont last  Empty continued

Post  chiclidlover Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:02 pm

A whole lot less. Sponges can also be used twice before discarding them.
I've been running both 55 this way for three weeks I have crystal clear water an my
flow is stronger from both 350 marineland an both 50/70 twin Bio wheel from guite filtration a brang from PETCO ancient days yes its the one with the three filter slots found it at a local flea market
hopes this helps out its a cost saver I've also heard of polishing your water with the white warder sponge still looking into that one
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

running out of filters or just tired of buying the expensive  filter pads that dont last  Empty Re: running out of filters or just tired of buying the expensive filter pads that dont last

Post  neogeo20041 Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:20 am

Since we are on the subject on saving money I thought I would share this.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

running out of filters or just tired of buying the expensive  filter pads that dont last  Empty Re: running out of filters or just tired of buying the expensive filter pads that dont last

Post  chiclidlover Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:41 am

Lol neo I've been watching diy king for awhile I agree with some of his diy designs the carbon bandaid has been a discussion since the dawn Of fish keePing it makes a good meeting topic though some dOnt use it at all an some do no one really has proven an pros an cons about activated carbon use besides odor an removal of meds. My thing is if your using activated carbon shouldn't that carbon be enough for plants to consume
chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:41 am

The carbon that plants take up is not readily available from activated carbon. They absorb CO2 molecules and through photosynthesis split the carbon from the two oxygen atoms. The oxygen is released and the carbon is used up. There are other sources of carbon that plants can use such as sugar, vinegar, and alcohol.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chiclidlover Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:27 pm

chiclidlover
chiclidlover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down