VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bolivians! Again!

3 posters

Go down

Bolivians! Again! Empty Bolivians! Again!

Post  williemcd Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:28 pm

This time I'll be ready for the Free-swimmers!  It's a small batch.. perhaps 70 or so... Poppa is the bigger one.. Also will be a pic of them 24 hrs later in which it looks like a 100% fert. rate!  Whoo Hooo
Bolivians! Again! Img_0112

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Bolivians! Again! Empty Re: Bolivians! Again!

Post  williemcd Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Well.. the parents dug a pit and moved the wigglers!  About 7 hrs before the move, there were only 5 infertile eggs.   This time they are being pulled as soon as F/S stage.... Or has anyone pulled wigglers?  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Turkey baster should make your life a lot easier. That's what I use to move all my fry.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Neo.. that's old school... I affix a length of oversize airline hose to a bamboo stake (from my orchid props).. and siphon the suckers out into a holding tank... then over to the rearing tank... The question I was asking has anyone ever pulled wigglers...
I thought you reared all your fry in that gallon egg hatching jug hence no need for the baster!  Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:32 pm

I do pull wrigglers if they are in a tank with other fish definitely or if I'm trying to get a good batch for my breeding project. I only use the rearing kit if I pull the eggs and hatch it myself. The fry are usually good in the jar for about 2 weeks depending on the number of fry. The first week you don't want the fry to be in a big tank because they can't find food very easily and seem scared. I have used from 5 gallon to 1 gallon jar for raising fry but I usually have more success with smaller tanks until they are big enough.
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:46 pm

neo.. have you pulled wigglers other than Angels?  The Rams are excellent parents until they get interested in a subsequent spawn.. say 3 weeks... I've searched and searched and haven't found anyone pulling Ram wigglers... was hoping someone had tried that.. Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:07 am

Bill.....I say TRY IT! You have the experience and the live food to get them started. Keep us updated!
PS..... I still use a good turkey baster!! Old school or not!! LOL
And Neo.....I would NEVER keep fry in a hatch jar for two weeks!! That is a crucial time for developing! NOT a good practice, IMO.
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down