VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type Masinje"

2 posters

Go down

Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type Masinje" Empty Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type Masinje"

Post  lkelly Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:33 pm

I have an F1 trio of these and am growing out their F2 offspring. I plan to bring some to sell at Aquamania at the end of Feb. If anyone might be interested locally, let me know. I can part with some before Aquamania.

The father:
Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type Masinje" IMG_0176_600_zpsa9f57e04

Female (holding):
Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type Masinje" IMG_0170_800_zps237c402f

lkelly

Back to top Go down

Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type Masinje" Empty Re: Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type Masinje"

Post  williemcd Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:38 pm

Folks... the Lake Vic fish are fascinating and usually command a good price for grown out fry. Note, you'll like hard-water and temps in the mid 70's (I think)... Some chunks of Holey Rock would be beneficial as well as granite or limestone.. (Lane, feel free to correct or add! as I'm out of my element... as usual!)...
Another upside to them is that most of them will max out in size at about 3 - 4 inches so they aren't as demanding as the larger cichlids... Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type Masinje" Empty Re: Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type Masinje"

Post  lkelly Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:40 pm

This are actually a Lake Malawi peacock. Similar water requirements though. These are not a large peacock - only get to about 4" and are pretty peaceful. I picked up the parents at the Aquamania rare fish auction last year.

The fry grow pretty slowly. My largest are about 2" now and males are coloring up.

lkelly

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:41 pm

As I qualified, Africans are "out of my element".. <grin>

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Lane, now that you have become the "African Cichlid" go-to person on here, perhaps you'll turn on some other members to your area of interest!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  lkelly Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:02 pm

My only real claim to fame was that I bred some wild caught Gephyrochromis Lawsi back in the 90s. I bought a group from That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA and was lucky to get a good M/F ratio. I bred a bunch and sold them to local fish stores. I was excited because my giant Cichlid Lexicon by Axelrod said "These fish are unknown in the aquarium world" and "Nothing is known about their actual breeding." It's not like I did anything that out of the ordinary, just lucked into some rare fish and was able to get them to breed.

I was out of the hobby for a while and don't know that I've seen any for sale anywhere. I wonder what happened to all those fry I grew out. Hopefully the line lives on somewhere.

lkelly

Back to top Go down

Post  lkelly Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:17 pm

williemcd wrote:Lane, now that you have become the "African Cichlid" go-to person on here, perhaps you'll turn on some other members to your area of interest!

Verbal knows his Africans. I expect several others do here as well, but I've met him (and hope to see him at Aquamania next month too).

lkelly

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Yea.. Verbal bought some of my Holey rock last year at AM.. and sold the rest on my behalf! He know's his stuff fer sure!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down