VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 gallons planted aquarium with red cherry shrimps

+4
Doxiemom
Amp2020
neogeo20041
tercel94
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

10 gallons planted aquarium with red cherry shrimps - Page 3 Empty Re: 10 gallons planted aquarium with red cherry shrimps

Post  Doxiemom Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:09 am

OK, Anik! Your food theory makes sense!. I'm thinking NOT to change anything BUT PH to be sure that's the culprit!
No Luck at BIG BOX retailers....Go to Great Big Greenhouse (Bellgrade) or Stranges (Short Pump)....both are specialty garden/nursery centers!! Or tell me where you live (area) and I'll get you to a garden center! LOL
You can go to the pet store for softener pillows but they tend to be $Mad 
How are things now?? Any new deaths?

Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

10 gallons planted aquarium with red cherry shrimps - Page 3 Empty Re: 10 gallons planted aquarium with red cherry shrimps

Post  tercel94 Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:34 am

I live in Henrico near glenside and west broad zip 23228. I work at Innsbrook so I could probably go to Stranges. As for now I don't have any new deaths.

tercel94

Back to top Go down

Post  tercel94 Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:41 pm

Finally found the peat pots!!!! I got them from Stranges. I just cut two of them and put them on a sock and stock them in the filter. The water didn't cloud.  So what next guys??? Sit and wait for the results? How long will it take to see the results??? What results should I expect (PH level)?

Thanks!!!

tercel94

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:49 am

Ter.. have you checked your water hardness?... I for the life of me cannot maintain snails or shrimp... My water is super soft and the ph is hard to get above 6.2.
As far as your ph? Do yourself a favor... Draw a bucket of water, test your params...and LET IT SIT overnight and repeat the tests. municipalities put a number of chems in the water supply to ensure it's longevity.. They will gas off during a 24 hr standing period.
natural PH conditioner? Go out to a rural area that is 100% secure from chem sprays... (My back yard for instance).. pick up a number of Oak Leaves, a rubber band from your local fish store, bind the stems together and "plant" them in your substrate. you'll end up dropping the ph as the leaves age and unfortunately/fortunately soften your water...
Substrate... what are you using for your base? Some rock based subs WILL increase your ph.. and harden your water. I'm pretty sure Endlers are looking for softer waters than you'd utilize for the African cichlids you'll most likely encounter (Kribs and a few others excepted)... hmmmm That's why I go with either PFS (Pool Filter Sand) or STS..(Safety Sorb).. Both are pretty much benign in influencing the water parameters.
Finally?.. One of the best pieces of advice I've ever received: Know your natural water parameters...i.e. soft/hard, low/high ph and address your focus on fish that are more comfortable with the naturally occufring conditions you are able to provide. To constantly battle the given conditions with treatments just invites major swings in the issues that will stress and kill off your fish.
Just my 2 cents.
Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:55 am

Peat should lower PH/DH over time....Don't do any WC for a few days. Check it Friday....should be in the 7's....then it will slowly drop a bit more. Nothing else needs to be done but weekly tests. Your shrimp should begin to thrive!! You have already taken the steps Bill suggested by knowing your tap water readings. That IS very important. And to BILL...THIS IS why your Angels and Discus ARE such vibrant, happy fish!!! Your water conditions are PERFECT for them!!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  tercel94 Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks a lot guys for all the replies!!! I will take the readings on friday and will update you guys.
And Bill I'm using PFS as substrate and the PH from my tap is around 8.2.

tercel94

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Bill-I'm very jealous of your soft water which is perfect for angel breeding Sad. I think you should try some shrimp though they are very neat as for dosing you can dose with calcium tablet.
Doxiemom-Don't you have the same water as Bill???
Tercel-keep us updated. As you can tell everyone here is helpful. I'm very new to shrimp keeping so I apologize if I don't quite live up to shrimp keeping.

Ph-I learned that ph is based on how much minerals you have in the water. Is that true????
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Anik...I would THINK but he lives closer to the resevoir...I have only been here for 4 months. I was used to my well water...NO CHEMICALS ! NO DECHLOR NEEDED!! LOVED IT! Grew the biggest Amazon Swords I've ever seen!!
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  tercel94 Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:51 am

UPDATE I test the PH today and it was around 7.8. I hope it keep coming down!!

tercel94

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 am

YAY!! Should lower at a rate the shrimp will adjust to. Eventually, it will level out as the peat weakens (time to change it then)
How are they doing? Any improvements in health? Are shells looking better?
Wonderful what you can learn on here, isn't it!! Now you all know one of my "well kept" secrets! Laughing 
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  tercel94 Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:17 pm

hehehehe they are moving a lot, not like before the use to stay at one place so I guess they are a lot happier now!!

thank for reveling your secrets hahahahah

tercel94

Back to top Go down

Post  liangxinhuo01 Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:39 am

You can use http://www.aquaseasalt.com , I know a site can wholesale.you can try it!
http://www.aquaseasalt.com

liangxinhuo01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3