VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pots in a planted tank

3 posters

Go down

Pots in a planted tank Empty Pots in a planted tank

Post  Amp2020 Mon May 13, 2013 1:19 am

I want to try adding real soil to my planted tank but don't want to have to tear down the whole tank to add it. So I'm thinking of adding some soil to either clay pots or pond planter baskets. I have a few material baskets usually used to plant pond plants into. I've heard of mineralizing garden soil but I'm not patient enough. So I plan to repot some outdoor planters and use that soil in the pots. With a 1"-2" layer of garden soil topped with 1"-2" layer of Safe T Sorb. I figure I'll be able to hide 4" pots easily. Plus it will make relocating plants much easier. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this and any suggestions on what to add to the soil mixture.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pots in a planted tank Empty Re: Pots in a planted tank

Post  williemcd Tue May 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Amp.. my fry rearing tank uses just small clay pots and PFS as a substrate for Vals... Should go to Safe-t... Makes cleanup so much easier...

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Tue May 14, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm thinking of putting the potting soil into a mesh bag first and then cover that up with the STS (Safe T Sorb) substrate. After playing with the STS last night I got a feeling that the soil and nutrients would easily escape the STS layer if it gets disturbed. Not worried about a little soil escaping but don't want algae problems from escaped ferts and other nutrients.

I thought about using PFS but worried that it would create an anaerobic area build up nasty gases and not allow enough oxygen to reach the roots. Any problems with gas pockets Bill?

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue May 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Amp.. I've never encountered a gassing problem with PFS... It's my BELIEF that due to the production process of PFS.. sieving, that issue is eliminated unlike playground sand. Remember, PFS is sieved to a consistent .45-.55 mm to allow passage of water between the grains...

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  COCOBIRD Tue May 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Amp - I posted a while back about adding soil to established tanks and there were some suggestions in there ranging from frozen mud slabs to burying pockets of soil in panty hose.

Two of my tanks have a good amount of soil with PFS over it. Plants are doing great, crystal clear water, and no probs that I know of atm.
COCOBIRD
COCOBIRD

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Sat May 25, 2013 1:03 pm

From last week.
Pots in a planted tank IMAGE_89E85937-B77B-4425-9EC4-3A258FC69634

Pots in a planted tank IMAGE_AB1E1E6A-20E5-4CBA-85B9-74CE8E4FB3FA

I'll have some more pictures in a few days. Tank needs to be cleaned and let the dust settle for some clear pictures.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sat May 25, 2013 1:08 pm

looking strong Amp.. .lighting? depth of tank?

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Sat May 25, 2013 1:49 pm

75 gallon tank. 1"-2" depth of substrate upfront and sloped up to 3" in the back. Using 4x T5 HO bulbs. Will be replacing them all with D-D Giesemann Powerchrome 48". Lights on for 10 hours a day.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down