VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tetra Whisper EX

2 posters

Go down

Tetra Whisper EX Empty Tetra Whisper EX

Post  AngelAddict Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Well Tetra dropped the ball on this one and tried to reinvent the wheel. Their normal filters are simple and are effective. The EX not so much.

This is mine. (SORRY I didn't clean it before taking a picture. Kinda wanted to show off where the filter collects the most crud and clogs.)
Tetra Whisper EX Img_2011

the tube on the left is not molded into the filter. I assume so you can pull it off and clean it but sense I got the thing it will not sit properly and a little water leaks out. The two green things you see are the filter cartridge and the bio brush collection thing.

Tetra Whisper EX Img_2012

this is the filter cartridge. the green thing is a reusable frame for the soft flimsy filter. the frame collects crud and bacteria left and right and I constantly had to keep cleaning it off. its a clam shell design so the black line at the top is actually a rubber band that makes the sides spring back when you push the top two tabs together. problem here is the band sucks. it looses its elasticity and the filter will slide out if you're not careful. the filter itself is not too bad. kinda flimsy. extremely expensive for this filter.

Tetra Whisper EX Img_2013

this is the bacteria brush thinggie. as you can see its COVERED in gunk. I cleaned this with tank water weekly. personally I'm not a huge fan of this type of bacteria collection. i prefer the bio rings. the plastic brushes just don't have the little porous holes the ceramic rings have.

Tetra Whisper EX Img_2014
Tetra Whisper EX Img_2015

this is the impeller housing and strainer and the same thing opened up so you can see the impeller. this attaches to the bottom of the filter housing. the hold between these two entities just sucks. once you actually get it on you cant get it off sometimes and sometimes it just falls off. you shouldn't have to pull it off that much but the impeller just gets clogged up so easily. to get to the impeller part you have to pry it open and then when you go to snap it back together it doesn't sit right sometimes and the impeller will stick. so you have to go back in and re-set it.
one thing i hate about this type of system is that with the impeller in the water it depends on the water level to be above the housing. if you go on vacation or something and the tank water level goes down the filter will just dribble. this caused a crash in one of my tanks.

this is a really bad filter for any tank. its to difficult to maintain and break apart, it cost way to much along with the filters costing way to much and it gets clogged left and right.

AngelAddict

Back to top Go down

Tetra Whisper EX Empty Re: Tetra Whisper EX

Post  Amp2020 Sat May 11, 2013 1:05 am

These filters were constantly getting returned by unhappy customers. Common problem was that it would stop working after a couple weeks. The problem was that once the water level dropped below the impeller blades, if the power ever stopped, the filter would stop pumping water. Even if the power came back on, the impeller would continue to run dry and eventually burn up. Once they get hot enough the impeller magnet cracks or the housing over heats and locks up the impeller. They should have stuck with the traditional design of keeping the pump inside the housing where there's always water inside.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelAddict Sat May 11, 2013 1:07 am

deff agree with you. the Aqueon works a little better but still runs into the same problem in my experience. i just dont like having the impeller in the water like that. too much of a pain

AngelAddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down