VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what to do with java moss

4 posters

Go down

what to do with java moss Empty what to do with java moss

Post  AngelAddict Wed May 08, 2013 9:46 am

Well I've got this big clump of java moss that I've been growing for some time now. I was looking at it not to long ago and was thinking...... what the hell do I do with this stuff. It just grows in a clump and the clump gets bigger and bigger till it takes up the whole tank. How do I tame this stuff?

Well did some research on some cool things people can do with it. I've tried two; moss carpet or wall and tieing it to a piece of drift wood. This weekend I'm going to be catching up on some posting and reading posts and I'll post some pictures and how I did it and how its going so far if anyone has any experience with java moss or doing different things with it or even what u think of my little project don't be afraid to interject

AngelAddict

Back to top Go down

what to do with java moss Empty Re: what to do with java moss

Post  AngelAddict Fri May 10, 2013 10:56 pm

what to do with java moss Img_2023
basicly what i did was take some plastic knitting mat you can get for CHEAP at craft stores and cut two pieces the same side. i placed a bit of moss between them and then sowed it together with fishing line. its just now starting to sprout through. if it works well I will be doing a moss wall with it.
what to do with java moss Img_2024
what to do with java moss Img_2025

here i just tied it to a piece of driftwood in that same tank. we'll see how it works.
what to do with java moss Img_2026

here is a full moss wall i found online. looks cool. hope i can get mine to look like that.
what to do with java moss Pl-mo010

AngelAddict

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sat May 11, 2013 12:50 am

AA.. I've made TWO attempts at java walls.. never got one to take hold... Good luck with yours! It's a great aesthetic addition to an aqua-scape...

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelAddict Sat May 11, 2013 1:05 am

thanks bill. if i get it to work right i may sell moss squares one day Razz but yea it looks great and I'd love to have a shaggy moss wall with a big piece of driftwood covered in moss. one of my tanks is doing great with plants and looks amazing so far and id love to have the bushy java moss covering the empty spots

AngelAddict

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Sun May 12, 2013 1:03 am

Another nice look is Bearded Algae!.. It too presents a nice and soft look to the tank!.. Ya want some? lol... bill.

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Sun May 12, 2013 8:34 am

That craft plastic is awesome!...Its what I use in my tanks for egg scattering fish to spawn! Oh, and I also made filter cartridges out of it!!
If you want to get creative with the moss...have you thought of creating moss caves and small structures with the plastic? Its just SO easy to work with using fishing line to "sew" it together. And WalMart carries the sheets....about a $1 for a 12" X 12" sheet, i think!
PS....I'll buy a little bit from you if you can mail it in a ziplock bag.
Bill, I will NOT buy your bearded algae! LOL
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  neogeo20041 Sun May 12, 2013 10:04 am

Cool idea going to try it on my crs tank that I'm bout to set up Wink
neogeo20041
neogeo20041
Admin

Back to top Go down