VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Net antiseptic!

+3
Fern
VeeSe
williemcd
7 posters

Go down

Net antiseptic! Empty Net antiseptic!

Post  williemcd Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:32 pm

With the number of tanks set up, I'm sometimes in tank to tank. So, what is a good means of sterilizing the nets between tanks? Pet stores keep them immersed in a container with "something"... Any advice folks?

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Net antiseptic! Empty Re: Net antiseptic!

Post  VeeSe Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:17 pm

A few mL of H2O2 mixed with a gallon of water is probably fine.

VeeSe

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Hydrogen Peroxide is fish safe?

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  VeeSe Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Not if you bathe them in it... but in small amounts, yes. Anything 1mL/gallon or under is absolutely safe. Putting your net in it and then rinsing it in tapwater before you put it back in the tank would get rid of any H2O2 anyway, and even if you didn't, H2O2 breaks down into water and oxygen pretty fast when it gets into the tank. I have spot dosed H2O2 into my tank before.

edit: and just to be clear, I'm not talking about 100% H2O2. I'm talking about the solution that you can buy at CVS and other places where it's already pretty diluted anyway.

VeeSe

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Vee... sounds perfect to me! Thanks..! Now off to CVS!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:44 am

Jungle net dip, its what we use at the lfs, rinse in rinse out.it also keeps em from getting stiff and brittle.
Fern
Fern
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:38 am

Jill thanks.. I'd heard that somewhere before but this old brain addled old man couldn't recall!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:16 am

Bill, I would check to see how long peroxide "works" to kill off bacteria. Any that is used medicinally is only active for a few minutes. If you are thinking of a dip bowl where you would drop the nets into when not in use.....I would be careful about trusting the lasting benefits of peroxide. Having said that....if you put it in a spray bottle and spray nets after each use...that WILL work. Oh, and TEA TREE oil (MAIN ingredient in Melafix ) is also an antiseptic and anti-fungal. A few drops in your "net bowl" is a good idea.
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 am

We use net soak at work. It's purple and if you use too much it will stain nets and scrubbing pads. Don't need to use much.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4737410304339093690?q=net%20soak&client=safari&hl=en&biw=480&bih=268&sa=X&ei=5_9vUdiLFYHY9AT5xoGICQ&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAA#hsec:online

H2O2 will only work if you use the right concentration right after using a net and replace the solution after each use. Doesn't take long for it to break down and become useless. Ive used it to increase oxygen in my fish tanks during a poweroutage to save my fish. It works if you don't add too much.

Might be much cheaper and more convenient if you buy a net for each tank and hang them up on the side of the tank with a small hook. Always have a net handy and no worries of cross contamination. Even with net soak there's room for error and added maintenance of cleaning the container out and topping off with more water constantly.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:34 am

Amp... I was / am leaning that way.. but 3 nets per tank!.. 3", 5" and jumbo! Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:36 am

But Doxie put in my ear what should have been obvious beyond belief!.. Water changes and moving the python from tank to tank..... !!!!! $500.00 in pythons? YIKES!

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxiemom Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 pm

yeah, Bill! Good advice to myself as well!! TOO LATE! Let the self ars kicking begin!! And yes, that is true..the peroxide breaks down. Now, it IS good (right out of the bottle) for some wound care on the fish. And it would be great if you want to sterilize your nets all at once. My suggestion before was to put it in a small spray bottle and get in the habit of "spritzing" your nets after and each use! easy enough. Tea tree oil is a great net soak (DILUTED in water) and you can add a drop or 5 to the peroxide spray.
Doxiemom
Doxiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  verbal Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Doxiemom wrote:yeah, Bill! Good advice to myself as well!! TOO LATE! Let the self ars kicking begin!! And yes, that is true..the peroxide breaks down. Now, it IS good (right out of the bottle) for some wound care on the fish. And it would be great if you want to sterilize your nets all at once. My suggestion before was to put it in a small spray bottle and get in the habit of "spritzing" your nets after and each use! easy enough. Tea tree oil is a great net soak (DILUTED in water) and you can add a drop or 5 to the peroxide spray.

Diluted tea tree oil is what Melafix is. Diluting your own(or using drops) is a much cheaper alternative. There also is an alternative for Pimafix(sp?), I will have to look up what the oil is for that.

verbal

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Umm Bill......

Hydrogen-per-oxide h202 so a hydrogen (h2) per oxygen (O2)

Water is H20 so 2 hydrogen per oxygen

The spare oxygen molecule in hydrogen peroxide is what oxidizes organics, it is what bubbles out. so when you take out the spare oxygen molecule in hydrogen peroxide what you are left with is just water
Fern
Fern
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sketch804 Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:39 am

Fern wrote:Jungle net dip, its what we use at the lfs, rinse in rinse out.it also keeps em from getting stiff and brittle.

This is what I use every day. it's good stuff and does not seem to affect any water in your tank.

Sketch804

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum