VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VaFishAddictz
Welcome to VAFA! Where we talk and share our fish keeping secrets. So come and join us into discussing the future of the hobby.
VaFishAddictz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Less subforums

+3
Amp2020
Admin
VeeSe
7 posters

Go down

Less subforums Empty Less subforums

Post  VeeSe Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:51 am

We don't have enough traffic/diversity to warrant all of these subforums, and it makes the forum overall very difficult to navigate. I move to consolidate a ton of these subforums into much more general categories that will have a few more posts in each.

VeeSe

Back to top Go down

Less subforums Empty Re: Less subforums

Post  Admin Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:05 am

Vee. You position is and has been considered. This forum is barely a month old. The administrators have the task of making it appealing to those dropping in for a visit. If they see an interest they have and might join or not seeing it as a forum and subsequently not targeted to their interests. And a decision not to join.
The admins will be monitoring as we age to isolate forums/sub-forums for lack of participation. Decisions will be reached to eliminate them where appropriate. Out of curiosity, suggest a list of un-needed forums if you would. Admin

Admin
Admin

https://vafa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 am

Is it possible to have just one or two main sections where any post in a sub forum is made will show up in one section. Kind of like when I select the "show new posts since last visit" link. For example a freshwater and saltwater sections. Each with their own subforums should one wish to be specific of where they post their question. This way, if I select freshwater I'll see all the recent posts that I would otherwise not have viewed since it takes too long to navigate through all the different sections on my slow phone connection. The link that shows all new posts is nice but I wish also to see recent threads that would otherwise have been dropped off the list of new posts since my last visit. This would also help get more exposure to anyone asking a specific question under a topic that doesn't get much traffic.

Keep it simple and let the usage of the members help decide what sections are needed. I've seen forums with over 20 sections and only two of them have had any activity in the last year. Makes it look like no one is using the forum but actually those two sections are very busy because the members using the forum are only using them and do t have a need for the other sections. If I visit a new forum and see that its a ghost town, I usually don't return for fear of wasting my time. I've spent a lot of time registering and asking questions only to never get a response.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amp2020 Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:13 am

This is the bookmark link I use to visit this forum.
https://vafa.forumotion.com/search?search_id=newposts

If the post or thread doesn't show up when I use this link then I don't view it. I don't have enough time or fast enough connection to go digging through each section for interesting topics to discuss about.

Amp2020
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  verbal Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:55 am

Amp2020 wrote:This is the bookmark link I use to visit this forum.
https://vafa.forumotion.com/search?search_id=newposts

If the post or thread doesn't show up when I use this link then I don't view it. I don't have enough time or fast enough connection to go digging through each section for interesting topics to discuss about.

I usually use that. However if I get logged off then I may miss some messages, although if the thread is active it will come up again.

verbal

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Wow.. some interesting points being made.

Amp. The danger I see in having just two or three Categories (Fresh - Salt - Other) is that it appears to a visitor as pretty much a skeleton forum with not much depth upon initial viewing.
Digging a bit deeper, the goal of a forum is to become a reference/social gathering site. This is done by two methods: Number of active members and content contribution. We're blessed that we're running about a 65% visitor rate per 48 hrs. among all members. Typical of what I've seen elsewhere (dozens of forums) is about 20-25% at BEST!!!.

Vee. Here you have a catch-22 I think. Traffic and diversity correlates directly upon numbers of members and diversity of their interests! On AFU we went almost 2 yrs without a forum dedicated to the Betta fish. Upon it's introduction, it got slammed with traffic! Point being, you'll never know when a topic becomes hot/popular.

As the admin responded, all forums and sub-forums will be monitored for exclusion after a bit of history is established. Case in point, it was a PITA on AFU for the Photo of the month contest to be continually displayed for over 2 years when in fact there was never an action by the owners regarding that forum. Likewise this forum and the "Monthly Article" forum. (I've been a bit reluctant to put pen to paper fearing an unveiling of my ignorance! <grin>).. It was hoped that someone would step up to the plate and do an article regarding an area of their interest and expertise. A decision about retaining this entry will be made shortly.

FYI, the nomenclature Forumotion uses is: Category, Forum and sub-forums...

Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Alowishus Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:43 pm

All those goose eggs, though.. are they so much more welcoming than fewer forums/sub-forums? Dunno..

Alowishus

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:08 pm

This forum is "OWNED" by 20 members currently. The Admins format the forum to the desires of the owners.. not their personal preferences. My position stated is to solely offer a rationale for consideration.
I do think that each member does have an interest in seeing increases in membership in that each new member will either bring in more expertise to the forum or contribute to our learning curve by engaging in questioning fish keeping procedures.
I know I've done hours of research as a result of someone asking what they perceive as a "dumb question". That research only leads to my acquisition of more knowledge.. admittedly some of which I soon forget.
The 0's (zero's) noting the posts of a forum are an unfortunate byproduct of an anticipation of interest in future members of a particular topic. As stated before, lack of participation in a forum/thread will be evaluated at a point in time where the number of threads/forum may be trimmed to make the appearance more compelling.
That's just my 2 cents and carries as much weight as anyone elses! Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Alowishus Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Are we going to define that point in time?

We could always just spam the unused forums.. clown

Alowishus

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Alo.. well.. there are three active Admins plus the founder Administrator.. I'd think that the three active admins would engage in a dialog between themselves and make a decision or put up a poll for overall membership input.
An alternative would be to put a do-or-die threshold at say 40 members or March 31 for paring down or up!
It's just my nickles worth which exactly represents my overall voice in the matter ... One of twenty members or 5%....hence the nickles worth.. rather than my originally stated 2 cents. Inflation you know. Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:39 pm

BUT.. one last point...
There is great debate going on regarding a Democracy versus a Republic within the social media today and politics.
In a democracy, there would be no Salt Water Category in that it represents only about 15% of the membership. Nor would there probably be Aquatic Plants as this seems to be a plant free forum.

A republic ensures that all are represented.... A democracy represents a majority.

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  verbal Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:01 pm

Alowishus wrote:Are we going to define that point in time?

I think this is an iterative process. If we are close, maybe when a category(besides intro or sales) reach 10 threads and 200 posts might be a good criteria. If we want to let it ride with the current format, maybe something like 25 threads/500 posts in the most popular is better. I think usage has indicated that Angels and Discus deserve their categories, which would not necessarily be true on most small fish forums. IMHO, the catfish seem to only merit a category rather than one with 3 sub-categories.

How hard is it to combine categories(or sub-categories) if that is the right term. If it is difficult, it might make sense to whack(or combine) as many of the 0 thread/0 post categories as possible. If it isn't difficult may be combining or eliminating a few at a time is the right way to go.

verbal

Back to top Go down

Post  williemcd Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:07 pm

It's time for me to bow out as I've stated my position. Others need to step forward and voice their opinions. Or, defer to the decision of the Admins. Bill

williemcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Alowishus Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Twisted Evil *wringing hands* Twisted Evil

Alowishus

Back to top Go down

Post  FishVixen Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:43 am

OPPS We're in trouble now with the BIG A wringing his hands. LOL I'm in Florida so I'm staying out of it. I'm here if ya need me this time a follower not a leader.
FishVixen
FishVixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum